cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring Dynamic (LACP) and Static LAGs on ICX Switches

BenBeck

Hey all,

Let's take look at creating LAGs (LACP and static). LACP (802.3ad) is the most common link-aggregation method. We also offer static LAGs.

To create an LACP LAG named 'testlag' with an auto-generated id, you would issue the following:

ICX#conf t
ICX(config)#lag testlag dynamic id auto

In this example, let's assign ports 1/3/1 and 1/3/3 to this LAG:

ICX(config-lag-testlag)#ports eth 1/3/1 e 1/3/3
LAG testlag deployed successfully!

The resulting configuration from 'show run':

lag lagname dynamic id 1
ports ethe 1/3/1 ethe 1/3/3
!
<output omitted>
!
interface lag 1

We can see the LAG was assigned id 1 and there is also an 'intferace lag 1' in the running configuration. We can use this to define various configurations at the interface level. We will not define anything in our example, but I will show the the interface configuration mode for a lag for the sake of completeness.

ICX(config)#interface lag 1
ICX(config-lag-if-lg1)#

To ensure our LAG is working properly, you can issue 'show lag':

Image_ images_messages_6189518f5ce3f070bafb31de_9293f4f41f43b9ddbd0f083866e67ab8_lag-e369e9e6-ae6a-48b0-a253-736caa712d45-60250195.PNG

The most important part of this output is the [Ope] column on the far right. A LAG that is up and working will show ‘Ope’ for all ports in this column. If you see ‘Ina’ (inactive) here, you may want to confirm VLAN tagging, Layer 1 port statuses and the partner side LAG configuration.

Configurating a static LAG will be very similar. Using the same ports from our last example, the configuration would like this:

ICX(config)#lag teststaticlag static id auto
ICX(config-lag-teststaticlag)#ports eth 1/3/1 e 1/3/3
LAG teststaticlag deployed successfully!

Resulting configuration in ‘show run’:

lag teststaticlag static id 1
ports ethe 1/3/1 ethe 1/3/3
!
<output omitted>
!
interface lag 1

The ‘show lag’ for a static LAG will look like this:

Image_ images_messages_6189518f5ce3f070bafb31de_3e1e35d18093d63f4ac8768d7e833547_static-4896af9d-b8da-41f6-8df6-13f6f9d452e8-111475063.PNG

Hopefully the above two examples will give you confidence to deploy both dynamic (LACP) and static LAGs. We do have some additional LAG options. To see all available configuration options for LAGs, please see our FastIron Layer 2 Switching Configuration Guide:

HTML Version

PDF Version (requires login)

Let us know if you have any questions!

Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us
9 REPLIES 9

Achav012
New Contributor

What is the ‘Tag’ the only difference I see in mine and yours is that field. My LAG is not working properly. How can I rectify this? I’m working on a 7150 CP12

holloo
New Contributor

Hi,

I have examinated the LACP messages with Wireshark and I found that the source MAC address of the LACP messages is 0000.0000.0000 . This can cause problems on systems that drop such packets (because all-zeros is interpreted as illegal MAC address). In this case, what is the solution?

Hi there,

You may want to share the ICX switch model number and firmware version as well so that we can get this checked internally.

@BenBeck just a heads-up on this one.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Hi,

The model number is ICX7150 (on the one side two ICX7150-C12P-2X1G stacked, and on the other side two ICX7150-24-4X1G also stacked). Firmware version is SPS08095d on the one side, and SPR08090d on the other side. Between two sides there are 2x1 Gbps transparent E-line services used by the ICX7150s in LAG. The E-line services are implemented with Huawei devices in which packets with illegal source MAC address are dropped. Both sides sent LACP messages towards Huawei devices with all-zeros source MAC address. Upgrading to SPS09010d solved the issue.