cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch Update Questions

ericbord
New Contributor

We are running 8.0.95g throughout our network on multiple switch stacks.  I RMA'd one of the switches and the replacement came to use with a newer firmware.  I had to downgrade the firmware to match it up with the other stack switches before I replaced it.  Got a message that the 8.0.95g firmware wasn't compatible with the switch.  Turns out there is a newer POE chipset on the replacement switch they sent me that is incompatible with any version lower than 8.0.95h.  So if I'm going to use it, I need to update the software on the other switches in the stack.  A few questions:

1. Could there be any interoperability issues if one stack in a network is running 8.0.95n while the others are on g?

2. Are there any major changes between 08.0.95g to n or are there just bug fixes?

3. Are there any other gatcha's before I go ahead and update to 8.0.95n?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BenBeck

Hey there, 

It looks like you are on the right track. Answers to your questions:

1) This should be fine

2) Just bug fixes

3) Nope. You can upgrade direct from 8095g to 8095n

Regarding the stack in question, simply upgrade it to 8095n and then swap in the replacement.  I recommend upgrading the replacement to 8095n prior and issuing an 'erase start' so it is a blank config. The existing stack will see the replacement and should add it automatically. 

Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

BenBeck

Hey there, 

It looks like you are on the right track. Answers to your questions:

1) This should be fine

2) Just bug fixes

3) Nope. You can upgrade direct from 8095g to 8095n

Regarding the stack in question, simply upgrade it to 8095n and then swap in the replacement.  I recommend upgrading the replacement to 8095n prior and issuing an 'erase start' so it is a blank config. The existing stack will see the replacement and should add it automatically. 

Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us