cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New non-wifi cable modem install & Ruckus ICX7150 & AP internet connectivity issues

DogRouter
New Contributor

I am trying to replace my old Motorola SBG6580 Surfboard Wireless Cable Modem Gateway as it is old and I suspect may be the cause of long latency on internet queries.

I tried installing a cable modem only (no-wifi) a Arris Surfboard SB8200v3.

I cannot get any wi-fi once connected to the Ruckus ICX7150 router with the ethernet cables between the cable modem and and the ruckus router, using the R510 AP, only can access computers via the ruckus router to each other, but no internet.

Do I need to install a cable modem that has wi-fi ?, (i.e. is wifi built into the cable modem) or does the  ruckus 510 ap? and/or the 7150 router have wifi built into them?

Does the router and ap need to access wifi via the cable modem?

I reinstalled the old Motorola modem and got it working again (wifi that is).

Or do I need to access the ruckus router url main page to configure it somehow?

If I install a wi-fi cable modem instead do I need to factory reset the ruckus router and reconfigure for the new cable modem?

btw, Thanks in advance for a answer as I am not going to search through 594 pages in this forum for a previous answer to wi-fi issues,  a short search during this post on subject line did not return any posts.

Thanks

Russ

10 REPLIES 10

DogRouter
New Contributor

What's the switch?, the  Ruckus router?

Rukus router is plugged into cable modem ethernet port, Cox tells me the modem is talking to them

All Ethernet cables plugged into ruckus ethernet ports

Ethernet cable from modem (yellow cable) plugs into ethernet port on Rukus (same as other ethernet ports

AP Ethernet cable plug into same ports (Fat blue cable)

This is current cabling as installed by Lennar/Cox and currently working fine, all computers show connections to each other via the Lennar wi-fi, and other devices use straight ethernet connections.

No computers are connected via the Motorola wi-fi

See attached pictures

(Picture #1&2) Cable modem front and back picture, showing Cox cable into modem, ethernet cable in ethernet port then ruckus ethernet port.

(Picture #2&3) two pictures of back of ruckus ports and lights

Blue fat cable on left is to AP unit

Yellow cable is to cable modem

remainder of blue cables go to each rooms ethernet port switch plates

White and black cables go to other ethernet enabled devices

All computers connect to internet via wi-fi (via Lennar wi-fi) NOT ethernet ports

(Picture #4) picture of AP unit on ceiling showing lights

This is original setup with Motorola cable modem that has wi-fi.

Cable modem without wi-fi not in these pictures but connected same way to ruckus. When installed this way cannot connect to Lennar wi-fi, but CAN connect via ethernet connections

Hope this helps.

Original Motorola ModemOriginal Motorola ModemOrignal Motorola Modem BackOrignal Motorola Modem BackPic #1 of back of RukusPic #1 of back of RukusPic #2 of back of RuckusPic #2 of back of RuckusAP Unit on CeilingAP Unit on Ceiling