cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New non-wifi cable modem install & Ruckus ICX7150 & AP internet connectivity issues

DogRouter
New Contributor

I am trying to replace my old Motorola SBG6580 Surfboard Wireless Cable Modem Gateway as it is old and I suspect may be the cause of long latency on internet queries.

I tried installing a cable modem only (no-wifi) a Arris Surfboard SB8200v3.

I cannot get any wi-fi once connected to the Ruckus ICX7150 router with the ethernet cables between the cable modem and and the ruckus router, using the R510 AP, only can access computers via the ruckus router to each other, but no internet.

Do I need to install a cable modem that has wi-fi ?, (i.e. is wifi built into the cable modem) or does the  ruckus 510 ap? and/or the 7150 router have wifi built into them?

Does the router and ap need to access wifi via the cable modem?

I reinstalled the old Motorola modem and got it working again (wifi that is).

Or do I need to access the ruckus router url main page to configure it somehow?

If I install a wi-fi cable modem instead do I need to factory reset the ruckus router and reconfigure for the new cable modem?

btw, Thanks in advance for a answer as I am not going to search through 594 pages in this forum for a previous answer to wi-fi issues,  a short search during this post on subject line did not return any posts.

Thanks

Russ

10 REPLIES 10

pinky_ruckus

Hi @DogRouter ,

Greetings!!!

Thank you for contacting RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.

I hope you are doing well!!!

Thank you for the information you shared.

As per the case description, I understand that you are looking for assistance with your RUCKUS setup.

I would request you to please connect the Switch to the Router/modem combo or to the router provided from the ISP. The Switch should not be connected to the ISP modem directly.

Please verify the connections from the access points and ICX 7150 -C12 P that the cable seems to be in good conditions. Also, the ethernet cable should be connected to 1 of 12 ports in the switch.

Could you please let us know the answers to the below queries to assist you better?

1. On your switch while it's plugged into the outlet, do you see any lights on? (Amber or green) Please let us know which lights are on. (Please refer to the below picture and share a picture of the same, showing the light status and the FULL Switch panel cable connections to the Switch ports)

2.  May I know how many Access Points are connected to the Switch? Could you please let me know the light status on the Access Points? Any of these lights are on (Please refer to the below picture and share a picture of the same)

Please help us with pictures of your ICX-7150-C12P Switch showing the status of the lights and cable connections to the Switch ports. Also, light the status of Access Points.

Before uploading the photos please log in to the RUCKUS account and you can upload the image.

Please let us know the answers to ALL the above queries or let us know if you have any queries in this regard.

Thank you again for your patience.

Best regards,

Pinky Rajendran

RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.

What's the switch? the Rukus unit?

Motorola Cable Modem Front.JPG

Front of Motorola cable modem/wi-fi

Motorola Cable Modem Back.JPG

White cable is to Cox connection, Yellow cable connects to ruckus unit

Ruckus Unit Back #1.JPG

Ruckus Unit Back #2.JPG

Fat cable on Left is AP cable, Yellow cable is connected to Cable Modem Ethernet port, other blue cables go to ethernet switch plates in rooms, white and black cable are other ethernet devices

AP Unit Lights.JPG

AP unit on ceiling showing lights

-----

This is original setup by Lennar using a cox modem, I swapped a Motorola modem/wi-fi to save rental costs

Computer connections are through Lennar wi-fi SSID,  no ethernet port switch plate in office/bedroom

Streaming devices & TV connect via ethernet ports in living room and work fine.

When I installed a non-wi-fi cable modem, could not get internet connection via Lennar wi-fi, But could connect computer to computer via Lennar wi-fi?, even though not using ethernet cables. Not sure about TV or streaming did not get that far in testing.

Something not right using non wi-fi cable modem.

Hello @DogRouter ,

Thank you for the response.

From the pictures you shared, it seems like one of the ethernet cables is plugged into the wrong port on the Switch panel. It must be plugged into any 1 in-12 ports as shown in the below screenshot. Please unplug the ethernet cable and plug it into the correct port then reboot (unplug and plug from the power outlet) and try to connect to the Internet via Access Points.

It should be plugged into one of the 12 ports as shown in the below screenshot.

AP

Also, I would request you to please follow the below article to perform the factory reset on APs.

https://community.ruckuswireless.com/t5/RUCKUS-Support-for-Lennar-Homes/Physical-Factory-Reset-an-Ac...

Please follow the article and let us know if you have any queries in this regard.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,

Pinky Rajendran

RUCKUS Lennar Home Community

Yeah, oops that's my solar inverter internet connection ethernet cable, fixed.

Still need to know if the AP unit is a wi-fi broadcast unit (for Lennar wifi SSID)