cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radius authentication with certificate and credentials ?

philip_francis1
Contributor
Hello, is it possible to have wifi users from Windows 10 authenticate via RADIUS with machine certificate, then also via username/password prompt ?
Not sure if you can authenticate with two consecutive methods like this via SmartZone 802.1x.
I would be using Windows NPS as the RADIUS server.
4 REPLIES 4

abilashpr
Contributor III
Hi Philip,

No, instead you can use DPSK; which is as secured as 802.1x and passphrase is tied to Mac address of the client.

Currently, authentication is supported Cert or Password and I think the Windows client machine can either be configured to username and password or cert but not both, is it something added newly on Windows 10 ?

Thnak you,

Regards

Abi

Vineet_nejwala
Hi Philip,

You can configure an NPS policy that include "User group" and "Machine group" under conditions although the NPS will only allow authentication through either a computer authentication or user authentication but not both. 

Best Regards
Vineet 

babar_gondal
New Contributor II
Hi Philip,
First sorry for late reply,

Yes with windows 10 you can you can authenticate a machine to connect to network (Wifi) then a user has to authenticate to login to machine. (it works same as wired machine)
I have tested it with NPS radius server successfully and it works perfectly.

In my case i am using this method for shared laptops.

Thanks,
Babar

dietmar_giessma
New Contributor
Hi Babar,
I'm not the windowsman , but I want to setup a Wifi network in the same way as you with
MS Server 2019. The user authentication via NPS works fine. Can you show me , only in bullet
points, what are the steps on NPS to realize a setup in the same way as yours.

Bets Regards !

Dietmar