Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus ICX7150 C12P Dynamic PoE Power Unavailable

chadm
New Contributor

I have several C12Ps, all running 9.0.10j:

#show ver
Copyright (c) Ruckus Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.
UNIT 1: compiled on Jan 12 2024 at 09:59:12 labeled as SPR09010j
(33554432 bytes) from Primary SPR09010j.bin (UFI)
SW: Version 09.0.10jT213
Compressed Primary Boot Code size = 786944, Version:10.1.26T225 (mnz10126)
Compiled on Tue Nov 29 07:43:26 2022

The admin guide indicates that dynamic PoE power is configurable:
https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/fastiron-09010-managementguide/page/GUID-CAA036D6-595D-4481-A140-2...

"If you want to configure Static PM to a specific port after enabling Dynamic PM on all ports, configure the required ports with priority 1. Unless the Power Supply Unit (PSU) is removed, Priority 1 ports will never lose power. The following is an example of configuring a specific port to Static PM after Dynamic PM has been configured."

device# configure terminal
device(config)#inline power allocation dynamic all
device(config)# interface ethernet 1/1/15
device(config-if-e1000-1/1/15)#inline power priority 1

However, the CLI does not recognize this command:
SSH@adjunct.madison911.net(config)#inline power allocation dynamic all
Invalid input ->allocation dynamic all
Type ? for a list
Node doesn't exist
SSH@blah.net(config)#

I need this feature in the switch, as I cannot add additional access points to my homes' switches.  Despite each AP using at most 11 watts at peak, the switch preallocates 30watts from the budget, limiting the deployment to 4 APs at most.  This is well known of course in the 8.x line of code, which is why I moved to 9.0.10j as the release notes and admin guide indicated (as above) that dynamic power was available. 

16 REPLIES 16

Hi @chadm 

Thank you for the response and the information you shared.

I see your Switch is Running on SPR code. 

For Lennar homes RUCKUS setup, we suggest to keep the Switch on the SPS Code and keep the default configurations.

We suggest you upgrading your Switch to the SPS code version. When you connect PoE device to the Switch it will allocate the required power to those particular devices automatically. And not required any static assignments until and unless there is not any requirements for static changes.

Please let me know if you have any queries in this regard.

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.

chadm
New Contributor

I am happy to change the code from R to S, however that doesn't address the original problem statement (re-stated for convenience below):

The admin guide indicates that dynamic PoE power is configurable:
https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/fastiron-09010-managementguide/page/GUID-CAA036D6-595D-4481-A140-2...

"If you want to configure Static PM to a specific port after enabling Dynamic PM on all ports, configure the required ports with priority 1. Unless the Power Supply Unit (PSU) is removed, Priority 1 ports will never lose power. The following is an example of configuring a specific port to Static PM after Dynamic PM has been configured."

device# configure terminal
device(config)#inline power allocation dynamic all
device(config)# interface ethernet 1/1/15
device(config-if-e1000-1/1/15)#inline power priority 1

However, the CLI does not recognize this command:
SSH@adjunct.madison911.net(config)#inline power allocation dynamic all
Invalid input ->allocation dynamic all
Type ? for a list
Node doesn't exist

Hi @chadm 

Thank you for the response.

Please note, that the commands you are trying to execute are introduced for 10.0.00 and later versions. Please refer to the below link for the same.

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/fastiron-10010-commandref/page/GUID-A9DECF76-1A06-41E8-BF5C-4DDABF...

For the upgrade process for Lennar users, please refer to the below RUCKUS Lennar Knowledge base self-help article and upgrade to the recommended version for Lennar home RUCKUS Switch.

https://community.ruckuswireless.com/t5/RUCKUS-Lennar-Support-Knowledge/How-to-upgrade-RUCKUS-ICX-71...

Note: you can ignore the 8080f version from the guide and upgrade/downgrade to the UFI version directly.

Please let me know if you have any queries in this regard.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

As per the link I shared, the documentation illustrates the use of the command in 9.0.10, hence the reason I updated my C12P to 9.0.10:

There does not appear to be a firmware image/version of 10.0.x for the C12P, hence the reason I opened this issue.  We need 10.0.10 for the C12P, or we need 9.0.x on the C12P to support the dynamic PoE implementation to enable full usage of PoE devices based on their usage, rather than their class.

Hi @chadm 

Thank you for the response.

From the link you shared, other commands can be executed on other versions. For these commands, I will let the dedicated team know about this and check with them.

To execute those commands you need to be on 10.0.00 or later versions.

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi