I recently purchased a new R510 AP and want to add it to my existing Ruckus system (uses an ICX7150-C12P and two R510s). I have reviewed the forums and followed the processes posted (as well as the instructions in the R510 AP box) but was unable to link it to my current network. I have laid out my situation in three sections: What I am looking for (REQUESTS), Some notes about my current configuration (NOTES), and the list of the issues encountered as I tried to use the Forum info to resolve my problem (ISSUES SUMMARY). So far, over 5 hours invested in trying to get this to work... PLEASE HELP!
1. Enable R510 AP to be connected to existing network without destabilizing current successfully operating network.
2. Learn how to see the Ruckus Devices using my Ruckus Unleashed iPhone app. I cannot access my current equipment using the iPhone app.
A. When first installed 4 years ago, it took multiple tech visits to successfully configure and stabilize the Ruckus network and get both R510 APs working cleanly. Since then, it has worked very well, including restarts after power failures.
B. The network rides on a Spectrum Modem and Router. The Modem was upgraded last year by Spectrum.
1. Never saw the "Configure.Me-xxxxxx" WLAN appear in either my laptop or my mobile phone during any of the process steps.
2. Used the mobile phone to create a "Configure.Me-xxxxxx" WLAN using the last six digits of my R510 AP Mac Address. When I did this, a new WLAN appeared titled "island-xxxxxx" with the last 6 digits of my R510 AP Mac Address. Tried multiple times to connect to this WLAN on both my PC and my iPhone but unable to find the correct password. Confirmed this was my new R510 AP by disconnecting it - the AP/WLAN only appears when it is connected and powered up.
3. Did a factory Reset following the Forums factory reset steps. "island-xxxxxx" WLAN still appears after this process.
4. Connected the R510 AP to my PC Laptop using an ethernet cable and separate AP R510 power cord and still did not see anything different.
I am not willing at this time to reset the network - since the two AP devices I have are working.
Additionally, since this is an open forum - I do not want to send you the serial numbers via this mechanism - as advised by the forum guidelines. Please provide a phone number that I can use to discuss this...
Thank you for contacting RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.
Hope you are doing well!!!
Thank you for the information you shared.
As per the case description, I understand that you are trying to add a new RUCKUS R510 Access Point to a existing RUCKUS network environment.
You can just connect your new R510 Access point’s ethernet cable into any 1 in-12 ports highlighted and check if it gets sync up with your existing RUCKUS network.
If it doesn’t sync up with the existing network, we may now need to factory reset the APs. Please follow the below process to factory reset your APs to configure them with a new Wi-Fi Network/SSID.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To perform a factory reset correctly on one of the access points, you must disconnect the rest of your other access points from the "ICX-7150-switch". For example, if you have 3 access points, you should go to the switch and disconnect 2 of the cables to turn off the "2 access points" and only leave 1 connected with which we are going to work the factory reset once you configure the access point and make sure all is good, go ahead and reconnect the other Access Points back.
As you have 3 Access Points in your network setup, remove the cables of any TWO Access Points, and perform the factory reset on the ONE connected access point. Once you complete it, connect the unplugged Access point cables back to the Switch ports and they will sync up with the configurations from the factory reset Access Point.
Thanks for the information. I followed the processes as presented - the results were mostly successful as described below. Still have a few outstanding issues:
1. After unplugging two of the APs, it took three resets of the Master AP to finally see the Configure.Me-xxxxxx as an available WLAN.
2. I was UNABLE to establish the link with Configure.Me-xxxxxx on my iPhone after multiple attempts.
3. So I resorted to my PC using the browser to connect with Ruckus Unleashed website. This had its own issues - security certificates were not accepted by either Google or Microsoft Edge since I had my web browsers locked down. I was able to work around it on Google and finally get to the Unleashed site and see the devices. I completed the configuration process as requested by the browser windows, the box instructions and the instructions that were provided.
4. Once completed and I was connected to the updated WLAN, I plugged the other APs into the Switch. The older AP adapted to the new network. The new AP is still showing the island-xxxxxx WLAN name and did not connect to the Ruckus Mesh Network. I unplugged and replugged the Newer AP multiple times, but it never connected.
5. Additionally, I discovered that many (about 18 IOT devices) were still operating on my original WLAN that was running in parallel with the second version - I spent most of the night reconnecting them to the new network (third version). I still have two devices to connect, but I need to purchase a special tool to open them so I can reconfigure them.
SO I am back where I started with my Switch and 2 APs working and the new AP still showing the wrong WLAN - "island-xxxxxx". At least I was able to clean up my network IOT devices and make sure they are all on the same WLAN - well almost! Two to finish tomorrow once I have the new tool...
So what should be my next step for the new AP device???? How do we get it connected to the other devices?
I tried resetting the AP with the "island-xxxxxx" WLAN address more than six (6) times without success. The "island-xxxxxx" WLAN address continues to reappear, never switching to Configure.Me-xxxxxx.
One item of note, when I did the reset on the Master AP last night, I needed to hold the red light on for over 30 seconds before the reset actually worked and "Configure.Me-xxxxxx" appeared as a WLAN. I noticed with the AP that is showing the "island-xxxxxx" WLAN, the light automatically starts flashing green after 20 seconds, even though I am still holding the reset button to keep the red light on.