cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successful Upgrade of R510's and Ruckus Switch

PDBars
New Contributor III

Lennar Home Owners,

I just finished successfully navigating the inclusion of a new Ruckus R510 AP to my Lennar Home Network.  My home network originally had two R510 APs and a Ruckus Switch.  My goal was to add a third R510 AP to extend my WiFi coverage to another part of my home and yard.  To make this work, we needed to upgrade the firmware on the current devices and then make sure that the new R510 was upgraded as well.  We also had to upgrade the Ruckus Switch (4 year old network).

I want to thank Imran (from Ruckus) for an excellent job in helping me complete the tasks!!  He was very helpful and the consummate professional.  His persistance paid off in making this task a success!  He is very knowledgeable and did what needed to be done to help me navigate the Ruckus processes.

Some lessons learned from this effort:

1.  You may need to use the Firefox browser to successfully access the Unleashed browser app upgrade function for the APs.  Both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge (latest versions of both) would hangup in the upgrade step, preventing task completion.  I had to upgrade the APs because they were not set to auto-update by Lennar when first installed, so the firmware had not been updated since they were installed four years ago.

2.  Because our home networks are small, you do not select the Mesh checkbox on the first page of the set-up wizard.  This is used for larger networks to find APs that may-or-may not be connected.

3.  You should have an app from your ISP that allows your to see the MAC and IP addresses of your network.  This is very helpful in troubleshooting individual devices (including the Ruckus APs and Switch).  If your ISP does not provide a tool, you may have to find an MAC/IP discovery tool that you can use.

4.  To upgrade the Ruckus switch, you will need additional instructions from Ruckus.  This task may include dowloading two apps called:  Putty and TFTP.

5.  Once you have successfully upgraded your APs and Switch, using your phone to manage the network was easy to set-up and use.  Of note, sometimes I need to "forget my WiFi network" and reconnect to allow the Ruckus phone app to connect to the network and provide visibility of the Ruckus devices, network devices and Switch.

Imran/Ruckus - please respond with any corrections or updates!

I am glad this task is complete.  Good Luck on your efforts!

PDBars

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Imran_ruckus

Hi again @PDBars 

Greetings!!!

Thank you for contacting Lennar Home Community.

Hope you are doing well!!!

Thank you for taking your valuable time to post all the above-detailed information in a very systematic manner and up to point. Really appreciate your efforts which could help many other users in such situations.

You have added all the required steps we followed during the troubleshooting steps on your other case/post.

Thank you again and we appreciate your time and patience.

Please feel free to contact us for future queries.

Have a great weekend ahead!

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Imran_ruckus

Hi again @PDBars 

Greetings!!!

Thank you for contacting Lennar Home Community.

Hope you are doing well!!!

Thank you for taking your valuable time to post all the above-detailed information in a very systematic manner and up to point. Really appreciate your efforts which could help many other users in such situations.

You have added all the required steps we followed during the troubleshooting steps on your other case/post.

Thank you again and we appreciate your time and patience.

Please feel free to contact us for future queries.

Have a great weekend ahead!

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.