cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the implications of using a self-signed certificate for Virtual SmartZone services?

jhoux
New Contributor

I am struggling to get a clear answer from the VSZ documentation on Certificates here:
https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/sz-600-adminguide-sz100vsz/page/GUID-81CE1E39-BB53-49F1-B2B0-A5F5C...

My Scenario:
I have been tasked with renewing a certificate on an existing VSZ installation.  The controller currently uses a Comodo-issued certificate.

For reasons outside my control, I believe I will have to coordinate with other people to prove domain ownership to Comodo if I want them to issue another certificate for the host name where the VSZ is hosted.

What I'd much rather do is simply use a self-signed certificate, because its easy to generate one and upload it to the controller.  I am somewhat perplexed by the fact that the existing controller does not already use a self-signed certificate. I don't know what reasons the previous maintainer may have had for getting a Comodo-signed cert. I want to make sure I won't break something by switching to a self-signed cert.

Presently, three services use the existing Comodo cert:
- Management Web
- Hotspot (WISPr)
- Ruckus Intra-Device Communication

The existing Comodo cert does NOT have a Root CA, so the new one shouldn't require one either.  If I switch from a CA-issued cert to a self-signed cert, what implications will this impose?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bruno_andrade
RUCKUS Team Member

Hello, if you use a self-signed certificate, you may expect a security warning when you try to access your vSZ GUI and also for your WISPr users, they will not be redirected smoothly to the WISPr page and some devices maybe not even able to reach your WISPr page due to security risk.

Example of error message:

bruno_andrade_0-1675457092586.png

Bruno Andrade | Principal TSE Bulldog Americas | RCNA | CWNA | CWDP
Follow me on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

bruno_andrade
RUCKUS Team Member

Hello, if you use a self-signed certificate, you may expect a security warning when you try to access your vSZ GUI and also for your WISPr users, they will not be redirected smoothly to the WISPr page and some devices maybe not even able to reach your WISPr page due to security risk.

Example of error message:

bruno_andrade_0-1675457092586.png

Bruno Andrade | Principal TSE Bulldog Americas | RCNA | CWNA | CWDP
Follow me on LinkedIn