cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICX7150-C12 Switcher in router mode. can't get a connection between laptop and switcher

farmer120
New Contributor

I have an elderly neighbor who asked me to help him with his Ruckus setup. We both live in Lennar homes. 

His ICX7150-C12 Switcher is disconnected (according to Ruckus Unleashed dashboard), but the internet is connected and works intermittently. I have restarted/reset all combinations of his APs, Switcher, and Internet Modem. No success. He said that is hasn't been working properly the entire time since he moved in (little over 2 years). He just has been using the wifi coming from his AT&T modem. 

His switcher gives an error message that states "Failed to ping ICX 192.168.1.123, Suggest checking the network." I also realized (from searching these forums) that the name of his switcher is ICX7150-C12 Router, which is not a good thing, its in router mode. 

https://community.ruckuswireless.com/t5/RUCKUS-Support-for-Lennar-Homes/How-to-console-in-the-ICX-71... 

I have been using the above article to try to connect my laptop to his switcher to help get it back in switcher mode. 

I have a 2019 Macbook Pro running Monterrey OS. I connected my laptop to the switcher using a serial console cable with an RJ-45 connector. I have also installed both drivers mentioned in the article. 

When I open the terminal and type in the command to get access to the Switcher Command Line, I am getting a different log than what I am looking for. There is no reference to the SiLabs_Serial driver. When I try to put in any further commands, nothing works. 

Need help. What am I doing wrong? How do I properly get the ICX and computer to talk to each other? 

18 REPLIES 18

Hi @farmer120 

Did you reboot the Switch, take into consideration that, one steps will be changing the boot sequence, (ensure you did not get any error), then a reload to the Switch from the WEB GUI is necessary.

Yarenis_0-1672696215966.png

Please, share a screenshot of the steps.

Best regards,

Yarenis Hernández.

Technical Support Engineer | L2 TAC Wired | Lennar Home Community

Hi Yarenis, 

Thanks for the above help. I did do a re-boot last time.

Tonight here is what I did. 

I opened the switcher boot command (here is a screenshot prior to doing anything). Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 8.22.24 PM.png

Then I proceeded to follow the steps. I deleted the primary flash sequence and then added and saved it. 

Then I went down the menu to the reload (here is a screenshot before doing anything). 

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 8.22.50 PM.png

I did a reload. Took about 10-15 minutes for the switcher and APs to reload. Here is the results - 

(Screenshot of unleashed dashboard)

Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 9.18.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-29 at 9.19.05 PM.png

(Screenshot of APs, upstairs both 5G and 2.4G were working, downstairs only 2.4G is working)

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 8.49.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-02 at 8.49.14 PM.png

Here are two pictures - one is the downstairs AP with the front lights and the other is the back of the switcher so you can see my cord connection. 

IMG_3116.jpgIMG_3115.jpg

If there is any other screenshots or pictures you need, please let me know. I am truly stumped.

Hi @farmer120 

Hope you are doing well ! 

We can try to enable the Telnet protocol, and try accessing via CLI

Telnet .png

To access via via Telnet is the following command please open terminal on your machine :

nc IP-Switch 23

Examples 

nc 192.168.1.123 23

nc 1921.68.0.3 23

Best Regards 

Fernando Vasquez 

Hi Fernando, 

Thank you for that information. That resolved the issue! Thank you so much. 

Can I suggest a change to your overall "fix the router mode issue" post? As a mac user, I followed the instructions and nothing worked. The fix from you in the above post is simply telling people to turn the telenet function on in the WEB GUI. I never saw that change at all in any of the public posts. One I changed that, my terminal/telenet access worked right away and the issue was resolved in minutes. If that had been in the public pinned post, I would have never had to ask multiple questions and post multiple screenshots. 

Thank you for your help