cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check firmware version and update ICX7150-C12P?

AK
New Contributor

Hello - I purchased my Lennar home in April 2020, and have an ICX7150-C12P switch that recently wasn't booting and I needed to reset. It seems to be working now, but when I was reading various forums trying to troubleshoot, I did notice recommendations to update firmware on the switch.

When my switch finally restarted after the rest, I was able to use the Unleashed app to check and update firmware but I think that's only for the R510 access points? When I attempt to login to the switch by going to its IP address in my web browser and using what I thought was the correct login and password, it's not working. 

Should this login (directly to the switch's IP address) use the same credentials as used in the Unleashed app? If not, how would I find out what the correct login info is? (I thought perhaps due to the reset the login reverted to the original provided by Lennar, but that didn't work either). 

Alternatively, is there another way to see which firmware version is on my switch and update it, without needing a cable (which the installer didn't leave here) or messing around with a command-line? Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Hi @AK 

The unit is stuck in boot mode, as the factory reset has been performed and the switch is still unresponsive, the only option will be software recovery, now with the cable issue, the normal C/USB type cable that the Android phone uses to charge will work as long as it passes data, which basically all of them do, now with the code you can use anyone; however, during software recovery; the printenv command that must be run as part of the troubleshooting steps can confirm the code you have, so we advise using the same code or a higher code but without using the UFI image because we must put the image and boot separately, finally to avoid this problem in the future it is advised when finishing the software recovery, perform an upgrade to the recommended 08095g UFI code in both partitions with the switching image SPS0809595fufi.bin

Best regards,

Yarenis Hernández.

Technical Support Engineer | L2 TAC Wired | Lennar Home Community

AK
New Contributor

Hi Yarenis,

I really appreciate the detailed help on this. 

I'm attempting the software recovery on my mac using the Mac instructions at the bottom of this document (https://community.ruckuswireless.com/t5/RUCKUS-Support-for-Lennar-Homes/How-to-console-in-the-ICX-71...). 

I have the ethernet cable and the console cable plugged in, installed the Mac driver from Silas Labs (the installer said it was successful), and have connected to the ICX's command line interface in Terminal.

I typed "printenv" and returned the following:

ICX7150-Boot>printenv

baudrate=9600

ipaddr=192.168.1.1

uboot=mnz10114

ver=10.1.14T225 (Nov 15 2018 - 04:59:18 -0800)

Environment size: 95/16379 bytes 

This is confusing because it seems the version is way beyond (or numbered differently than) the versions on the website, but I went ahead and downloaded the version 08090k as explained here: https://community.ruckuswireless.com/t5/RUCKUS-Support-for-Lennar-Homes/How-to-perform-a-Software-re.... I have the two files copied to a new folder Downloads > recovery (For Boot: mnz10115.bin, For Image: SPS08090k.bin).

Now I get to the instructions which begin "1: Now we have all the applications downloaded and the firmware, Let’s configure your Computer’s IP address..." and "2: Now let’s prepare your TFTP server:...." and all the steps below that on this help doc https://community.ruckuswireless.com/t5/RUCKUS-Support-for-Lennar-Homes/How-to-perform-a-Software-re...  At this point I don't understand how I would do any of these steps on a Mac. Are there any Mac instructions that explain exactly what to do from this point? Or can I skip some of the steps in here https://community.ruckuswireless.com/t5/RUCKUS-Support-for-Lennar-Homes/How-to-perform-a-Software-re... and go to some later steps that work on a Mac? 

Thank you.

Hi @AK 

The CLI commands are exactly the same, from the Switch perspective; however, the MAC computer does not require any external application to transfer files via TFTP because it is already integrated, now all the configuration is through the terminal using Linux commands, this is the reason most customers prefer to use a Windows computer, instead of running more commands from the terminal just to configure the TFTP, let me add the commands with a brief explanation and a video tutorial.

1:Set up the static iP on Mac computers
How To Set up Static IP address on Mac tutorial video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzyBJ0dnjBE

2:From finder, type /private/tftpboot commands to paste the files for image and boot of the Switch:
/private/tftpboot

3:From Terminal: type the next command to set up the TFTP and start it:

sudo launchctl load -F /System/Library/LauchDaemons/tftp.plist (Begging the Launch of TFTP)
sudo launchctl start com.apple.tftpd (Start the TFTP)
netstat -atp UDP | grep tftp (confirm if the TFTP is transferring files, however will be appeared after you start the TFTP transfer from the Switch)
sudo chmond 777 /private/tftpboot (here you provide permission to the file TFTP boot)
sudo chmond 777 /private/tftpboot/* (here you provide permission to the files in TFTP boot)

TFTP server on macOS set up tutorial video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iviyd91HntU

Note: don't worry about SSH access because in your case you are connected to the Switch via Console access

Best regards,

Yarenis Hernández.

AK
New Contributor

Hello Yarenis,

I don't see my earlier reply here (I thought it was posted on 12/26/2022) but I wanted to say thank you for the detailed Mac support since I don't have access to and never use a Windows PC. I was able to do the software recovery on my switch and it's working now, thanks to your help!

You had mentioned earlier that once the recovery worked, I should go ahead and upgrade to the recommended firmware "08095g UFI code in both partitions with the switching image SPS0809595fufi.bin." 

In some of the help docs (like here) it mentions that sometimes a switch needs to be upgraded with a transition version of 08080f. 

In my switch right now when I looked at the version on the primary and secondary partition I see:

ICX7150-C12 Router#show flash
Stack unit 1:
NAND Type: Micron NAND 2GiB (x 1)
Compressed Pri Code size = 29360128, Version: 08.0.90kT211 (SPS08090k.bin)
Compressed Sec Code size = 29819448, Version: 08.0.80dT213 (SPR08080d.bin)
Compressed Boot-Monitor Image size = 786944, Version:10.1.15T225
Code Flash Free Space = 1260421120

Given this, can I upgrade the primary partition directly to 08095g, but the secondary partition needs to first upgrade to 08080f as described in this help doc?

Thank you for clarifying the upgrade process. 

Hi @AK

There is no need to pass for the transition version named 08080f, because you are already in a higher version(08090k), now when you perform the upgrade you can do it twice or just copy what is in your primary to the secondary, I will add an example of the commands, now take into consideration you will use the file named SPS08095gufi.bin, which contains all you require, so that will be the only file you need.

1:Upgrade option 1 upgrading both partitions example:

device# copy tftp flash 10.176.220.51 SPS08095gufi.bin primary

device# copy tftp flash 10.176.220.51 SPS08095gufi.bin secondary

device# Show flash 

device# Write memory

device# Reload

2: Upgrade by only the primary and then copy from primary to secondary.

device# copy tftp flash 10.176.220.51 SPS08095gufi.bin primary

device# Show flash 

device# Write memory

device# Reload

device#copy flash flash secondary

Note: with this last command, you will copy what is in your secondary to the primary, however you need to reload first.

Best regards,

Yarenis Hernández.