cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot turn on PoE for Ring Doorbell port on ICX 7150-C12P

KenB2386
New Contributor

I have one of the first 2018 Lennar smarthomes in our community with this switch, 2 APs, and a RING doorbell. They worked fine for 5 1/2 years and I had never tried to check anything until now. It appears to be running 2017 switch firmware.

This winter, the doorbell went offline while we were away for a long time. The APs are still working. The switch has no IP address so I finally got connected via the serial port and the inline power command shows Class 3 PoE ON for the 2 APs. 

The management status of ports 1-6 is ON. Port 2 where the doorbell cable connects is marked as non-PD. When I try to configure the port 2 for class 3, I get a warning that the configuration for that port was not changed.

What does that mean the problem probably is?

Does it mean the doorbell cable is trying to draw too much power?

What is the best way to troubleshoot the problem?

I assume the fact that the switch has no IP address is not related to this problem and will work on that separately.  I have no idea if it ever had one.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @KenB2386 

Thank you for the update.

Please check my previous response mentioned that PoE issues from the non-UFI versions are resolved in UFI Versions. Upgrading the Switch with UFI version only is the key solution for the PoE issues and for some other bugs. 

I think you missed my last response or misread it once again.

Your question 'how PoE would turn out?' is a hardware-related process. We are the Technical team on this forum to troubleshoot the Switch software-related issues and NOT Hardware issues.

If any hardware issues arise in the future, you can reach out on this forum and we are happy to assist with replacements (RMA).

However, as it was mentioned upgrading the Switch resolved the issue. Good to know about it.

I appreciate your attention to learning about PoE (Power over Ethernet) in detail. Please refer to the below link which can help you understand how it works.

https://intellinetsolutions.com/pages/power-over-ethernet-technology

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Please explain. I have watched a few Ruckus online tutorials and they say PoE is disabled on all ports by default.  Are you saying they are wrong? I do not want to lose my APs by doing a reset and that is what should happen based on the tutorials. I asked the tech who installed it back then and he said all settings were defaults except for ports 1-6 PoE and he did not say how they were set. I do not want to do a reset unless I am sure I I know how to re-enable them.

Should I be upgrading to the latest firmware or am I better off staying with the original (and would that result in a reset anyway)?

Hi @KenB2386 

Greeting!!!

Please let us know your current version of the Switch.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

KenB2386
New Contributor

show version says 8.0.61aT211 (SPS09061a.bin)

House new 5/18/2018

I thought maybe I could attach photos here but do not see a way.

I have seen a post response on regular Ruckus community for how to upgrade the switch and it says I would have to first upgrade to 8.0.80f and then (I think) to the latest release but I do not know if any special is needed between 8.0.80f and today's latest .95m release. 

Hi @KenB2386 

Thank you for the information.

As your RUCKUS ICX-7150-C12P Switch is on an older non-UFI 08061a version. We suggest you upgrade your Switch to a recommended stable 08095g version for Lennar home RUCKUS Switches.

The recommended stable version is 8095g (08.0.95g)

The Upgrade path would be: 08061a (your current version)>>08080f>>08095g

Please refer to the below RUCKUS Lennar Knowledge base self-help upgrade article for the process.

https://community.ruckuswireless.com/t5/RUCKUS-Lennar-Support-Knowledge/How-to-upgrade-RUCKUS-ICX-71...

Please let me know if you need help at any point during the upgrade process.

Thank you again for your patience.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

I will do it.

You should fix the USB update description since it still tells Lennar users to use SPS08080f.bin.