cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus R730 - what happened to supporting their product?

nick_s
New Contributor III

I just purchased a used ruckus R730 after not doing my homework only to find out it doesn't support ruckus unleasehed.  On top of that, they want me to be a premium support user to download the latest solo firmware (Solo Access Point 114.0.0.0.6565)?

What gives? I thought that Ruckus products were supposed to be well supported?  My R720 has unleashed, why not the R730 that I just paid $700 used for? Can we at least get the latest version of the far inferior Solo firmware to the public.  Obviously we have already spent money on the AP, why do we need to purchase "premium support" when you could just stand behind your products from the get go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi @nick_s,

Let me get the link fixed.

All solo images are supposed to be available without premium support.

I will update you, once this is done.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

With proper configuration, in your case -- to get home network working, you don't actually need anything, any solo image is enough.

Just put management interface on untagged VLAN, and client traffic on different, tagged VLAN (or VLANs, if you need more separated networks).

All latest vulnerabilities related to cracking WiFi access are not that important for home use -- actually I have never read about real case of they practical use. Most WiFi networks are vulnerable because use bad passwords. So if you use proper setup, and don't have freely available very valuable info in your internal network, you don't need to be much troubled. 

Speaking about performance and connection stability - you'll get very good connections from R730, of cause.

I agree, that it was unfortunate that because of need of early release, died-end chipset was used -- chipset, which lacks some hardware features, needed to achieve WiFi6 compliance. I suppose, when development was started, it was not clear, that chipset will not have this features. 

So as soon as new chipset version became available, R730s model was dropped and replaced with wifi6 compliant, and we can't expect any new development for it (except continued support for platforms, on which it was integrated already). 

We have installed a few R730 (under vSZ management) and they still work very nice, even so there were some functional limitations in the beginning (such as no support for mesh, for example).

We provided once Internet access during some EU event for family doctors , which had ~400 users, sitting in raws in area with just 1x R730, and obviously interest for presentation was so exclusive, that everybody was browsing Internet during it - we got ~500 devices connected  and they together maxed Internet connection at 600Mbps (optical).  

You can add ZD1200 as a controller, if you want more manageability and monitoring, but for home use you don't really need this...  

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi @nick_s,

Let me get the link fixed.

All solo images are supposed to be available without premium support.

I will update you, once this is done.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Syamantak Omer
Follow me on LinkedIn

nick_s
New Contributor III

@syamantak_omer 

Thanks for getting the link fixed.  Is there any way to request support for unleashed for the R730? I realize it's a long shot, but that would allow me to utilize my R720 and R730 with ease.

Hi Nick,

You should be able to download the firmware now. Premium flag has been removed from this file.

Regarding Unleashed support on R730, It is not possible, because product team works with different aspects of the product, before deciding what firmware and solutions will be supporting it.

If you have just one AP, I suggest you use it in standalone mode.

Syamantak Omer
Follow me on LinkedIn

Hi Syamantak,

I just tried to download solo for an R650, and I see its latest Solo firmware is also premium-only.

Could you maybe go through the downloads and fix them all? It seems like there was a process change a few months ago & everything was getting unnecessarily marked as premium.

Thanks!

Tony