cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About AP operation mode (802.11ax)

Hiro
New Contributor III

Hello everyone, I have a question.

We have just installed an R650 AP at our client's facility.
And we have WiFi6 enabled using vSZ.

In monitoring the actual operation, the mode of operation of the AP is switching to 802.11ac instead of 802.11ax in some areas.

We thought it was client dependent. However, when we connected several clients in 802.11ac mode to the test R650, the operating mode remained 802.11ax.

Does anyone know the conditions under which the operating mode switches in this way?

Thanks again for your kind support.
Thank you in advance.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hiro
New Contributor III

After continued comparison and verification, we found a condition that caused the AP to ignore the 11ax setting and connect on 11ac, which we will share with you.

The cause was really simple.

I had stopped the 2.4GHz wireless.
As a result, the wireless mode 802.11a/b/g in the network driver was determined to be 802.11a only.
This resulted in an 11ac connection.

As soon as the 2.4GHz radio was allowed, 802.11ax connections were available at 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

However, it would be preferable to connect on the 5GHz side first, but I could not find a way to do this in the vSZ settings section.
If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know.

Thank you all for all your help.
Keep up the good work.

View solution in original post

bruno_andrade
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Hiro,

To let 5Ghz preferable, you can do it in Zone configuration -> Advanced Options -> Band balancing

bruno_andrade_0-1672930494830.png

Let percentage in 0% and in Strict mode, this will force your clients in 5Ghz.

Bruno Andrade | Principal TSE Bulldog Americas | RCNA | CWNA | CWDP
Follow me on LinkedIn

bruno_andrade
RUCKUS Team Member

Hiro,

You mean with "a second SSID that only distributes 2.4GHz" that you will configure a SSID and using WLAN GROUP you will apply it for only 2.4Ghz? 

If yes, there is no problem to use 0% and strict mode. As the SSID are only in 2.4Ghz, it will only probe the SSID in this frequency so it will not move clients to 5Ghz.

Follow me on LinkedIn

7 REPLIES 7

bruno_andrade
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Hiro,

To let 5Ghz preferable, you can do it in Zone configuration -> Advanced Options -> Band balancing

bruno_andrade_0-1672930494830.png

Let percentage in 0% and in Strict mode, this will force your clients in 5Ghz.

Follow me on LinkedIn

Hiro
New Contributor III

Hi bruno,

Thanks to you I was able to find the Band balancing section.
Because I was looking at the group settings, not the zone settings.

I am a little curious about something.
It is the case that there is a second SSID that only distributes 2.4GHz.
In that case, I don't think I can set the 2.4GHz percentage to 0%.
Suppose we set it to about 10%, would users connected to the SSID delivering 5GHz always rebalance 10% to 2.4GHz if we set the steering mode to strict?
If 5GHz is prioritized unless the AP detects a high load, I don't see a problem.

bruno_andrade
RUCKUS Team Member

Hiro,

You mean with "a second SSID that only distributes 2.4GHz" that you will configure a SSID and using WLAN GROUP you will apply it for only 2.4Ghz? 

If yes, there is no problem to use 0% and strict mode. As the SSID are only in 2.4Ghz, it will only probe the SSID in this frequency so it will not move clients to 5Ghz.

Follow me on LinkedIn