cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus Unleashed slow speeds

adrian_minea
New Contributor II
Hi everyone, I just replaced a Draytek Wifi network with 4 Ruckus R510 acess points. The problem that I'm having is while hardwired into the switch where the access points are connected I'm getting 400-450 Mbps download and upload, I'm using a small Cisco 10P POE Switch connected straight to the router on a different VLAN. If I connect to any of the access points on WIFI I only get 200-220 Mbps, being next to the access point. I only enabled the 5G network and all the channels are set on auto. Is there anything that I can change to see if it improves the speed on WIFI ? If I was to use a Zone Director and flash the firmware, will it make any difference?
Thank you
31 REPLIES 31

PoE forcing instructions would be great. Are you checking which mode the AP is in via a command terminal? All I show on the web portal is "LLDP: PoE Enabled" without indication of which kind, but honestly this should not matter as I'm using an official power brick.

I'm on 106.0.0.99.1363 and am afraid to change it as I've tried several others and this seems to work the best.

Do you have any devices getting over 400mbps up and down or is one speed cut in half?

I have tested several R720's and R710's on two independent networks and get over 400mbps downloads on all.  Upload speeds are limited to 30mbps (by ISP) and the AP's reach that easily. 

If you are using an "official power brick" e.g. a transformer plugged into the power port, then PoE is not in play at all.  Unless you mean an "official PoE injector" (e.g. only an ethernet cable plugged into AP) which you would still need to verify the PoE status.   Here is the info on forcing AT using CLI (sorry if sloppy or repetitive -haven't cleaned it up):

ssh admin@

(login)

Give enable command:

ruckus> enable

Set AP Mode:

ruckus# ap-mode

Commands to run on Member APs to verify power settings:

ruckus# get power-mode

ruckus# get lldp

To force enable 802.3AT power: 

ruckus# set lldp enable

ruckus# set lldp poe enable

ruckus# set power-mode at

Commands to run on Master AP to verify power settings:

ruckus# ap-mode

ruckus(ap-mode)# get power-mode

ruckus(ap-mode)# get lldp

ruckus(ap-mode)# quit

To force enable 802.3AT power on Master AP: 

ruckus> enable

ruckus# ap-mode

ruckus(ap-mode)# set lldp enable

ruckus(ap-mode)# set lldp poe enable

ruckus(ap-mode)# set power-mode at

ruckus(ap-mode)# quit

jaco_heever
New Contributor II
i have the same issue where Ruckus unleashed is giving me bad speeds. Have been working with Ruckus wireless for 7 years and love the product but lately hate the unleashed product. tested at a client last week with 200mbps fiber. on unleashed the throughput does not go above 100mbps and upload and download vary so much when testing from the same position. we then moved the same AP to our vSCG controller and got nothing under 170mbps. same ap, same placement and device on same location. no one is able to explain that. 

confirmed in both testing that the device was connected to 5ghz on 80mhz. 

will be great to get ruckus feedback

Try updating to the newest firmware.

david_henderson
Contributor II
We have a total of 414 Ruckus APs
407 of the R710s
2 of the R720s
5 of the T710s

We are using two vSZ controllers. I just checked one AP using "get power-mode" and "get lldp" with results shown below. All of our APs are plugged into Juniper PoE+ switches. Should these APs be at 802.3af or 802.3at?

rkscli: get power-mode
PoE Configured Mode      : Auto
Power Consumption Status : 802.3af Switch/Injector
OK

rkscli: get lldp
LLDP state: Enabled
LLDP interval: 30
LLDP holdtime: 120
LLDP mgmt: Enabled
LLDP bond type: Source MAC for LLDP frames on bond slaves: fixed
LLDP poe: Enabled
LLDP power: 25000