I have a pair of 7150-C08p switches.
We installed a 1GbE optical gbic in 1/2/1 on each switch and patched them together...
We are not getting any link.
I am trying to determine if this is a:
Switch config issue?
GBIC compatibility issue?
The switches see the gbic installed, but it is down:
ICX7150-C08P Switch#show media
Port 1/1/1: Type : 1G M-C (Gig-Copper)
Port 1/1/2: Type : 1G M-C (Gig-Copper)
Port 1/1/3: Type : 1G M-C (Gig-Copper)
Port 1/1/4: Type : 1G M-C (Gig-Copper)
Port 1/1/5: Type : 1G M-C (Gig-Copper)
Port 1/1/6: Type : 1G M-C (Gig-Copper)
Port 1/1/7: Type : 1G M-C (Gig-Copper)
Port 1/1/8: Type : 1G M-C (Gig-Copper)
Port 1/2/1: Type : 1G M-LX(SFP)
Port 1/2/2: Type : EMPTY
ICX7150-C08P Switch#show interfaces brief
Port Link State Dupl Speed Trunk Tag Pvid Pri MAC Name
1/1/1 Down None None None None No 1 0 c0c5.20b0.d0ad
1/1/2 Up Forward Full 1G None No 1 0 c0c5.20b0.d0ae
1/1/3 Down None None None None No 1 0 c0c5.20b0.d0af
1/1/4 Down None None None None No 1 0 c0c5.20b0.d0b0
1/1/5 Up Forward Full 1G None No 1 0 c0c5.20b0.d0b1
1/1/6 Up Forward Full 100M None No 1 0 c0c5.20b0.d0b2
1/1/7 Up Forward Full 100M None No 1 0 c0c5.20b0.d0b3
1/1/8 Up Forward Full 100M None No 1 0 c0c5.20b0.d0b4
1/2/1 Down None None None None No 1 0 c0c5.20b0.d0b5
1/2/2 Down None None None None No 1 0 c0c5.20b0.d0b6
ICX7150-C08P Switch#show interface ethernet 1/2/1
GigabitEthernet1/2/1 is down, line protocol is down
Port down for 125 day(s) 5 minute(s) 48 second(s)
Hardware is GigabitEthernet, address is c0c5.20b0.d0b5 (bia c0c5.20b0.d0b5)
Configured speed 1Gbit, actual unknown, configured duplex fdx, actual unknown
Configured mdi mode AUTO, actual unknown
Untagged member of L2 VLAN 1, port state is BLOCKING
BPDU guard is Disabled, ROOT protect is Disabled, Designated protect is Disabled
Link Error Dampening is Disabled
STP configured to ON, priority is level0, mac-learning is enabled
Flow Control is config enabled, oper enabled, negotiation disabled
Mirror disabled, Monitor disabled
Mac-notification is disabled
VLAN-Mapping is disabled
Not member of any active trunks
Not member of any configured trunks
No port name
IPG MII 96 bits-time, IPG GMII 96 bits-time
MTU 1500 bytes
MMU Mode is Store-and-forward
300 second input rate: 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec, 0.00% utilization
300 second output rate: 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec, 0.00% utilization
0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 0 broadcasts, 0 multicasts, 0 unicasts
0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 ignored
0 runts, 0 giants
0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns
Transmitted 0 broadcasts, 0 multicasts, 0 unicasts
0 output errors, 0 collisions
Relay Agent Information option: Disabled
MAC Port Security: Disabled
This port is not being monitored for queue drops
Queue counters Queued packets Dropped Packets
0 0 0
1 0 0
2 0 0
3 0 0
4 0 0
5 0 0
6 0 0
7 0 0
Is there anything from a switch config standpoint that I can check? These switches have not had any explicit configs done to them... they are pretty much right out of the box...
I have ordered a couple different GBICs just in case the ones we have are incorrect.
Our fiber environment is single mode with regular LC connectors.
Solved! Go to Solution.
No special considerations here. That port should be fixed 1Gb, so no need for speed settings or anything like that. I would assume this is a media (optic, fiber, etc.) issue, but tough to say without doing process of elimination. If needed, please feel free to open a case (see my signature) and we can try to help,
lol - ok - so I convinced myself that I wasn't going to totally break the fiber cable trying to get the LC connectors out of the clip... I flipped the cables on one side, plugged in to the gbic and got a link light. So... seems that was the issue.
Appreciate everyone's help... and patience with me being such a freshie with fiber 🙂 lol
The first thing I would do -- put switches side by side, and connect by 2m patch. If no link, swap pairs on one end. If still not working, replace both SFP with known working.
Than I would check if it works with 2 different vendor switches (I mean test same cable + SFPs with different switches).
Only if this way I could determine that all components work with different swicthes, I would open support case.
But it is probably as simple as cable problem, try troubleshooting physical level in the beginning... FO cable fault laser tester helps a lot to be sure you have proper cable connections.
'show media validation' if you are running a current OS on the switch will verify the SFP is compliant with Brocade.
If this is a 10G capable port you would have to hard code the speed:
int e 1/2/1
Only other issues would most likely be physical cabling, possible roll of fiber.