cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vSZ-D count number of tunnels for remote sites

Liinad
New Contributor II

Hello,

I can't seem to find the answer to this. From the documents that I read a vSZ-D can support 10000 tunnels but it wasn't clear to me how to count those tunnels. 

Theoretical scenario: I am using 1000 off-site APs that are broadcasting 3 SSIDs each. All trafic is being tunneled to my vSZ-D. How many tunnels would need to be created? 

My understanding is that I require 1 tunnel per SSID per AP so 3x1000=3000. Is this correct and if not can someone explain to me how to count them correctly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

albert_pierson
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi liinad,

Yes - if you have 1000 AP's with one or more Tunneled WLAN/SSID then the DP/vDP will be terminating 1000 tunnels.  It is one Tunnel per AP and Tunnel is only created when one or more WLAN/SSID are configured for rGRE (Ruckus GRE) tunnels.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks for choosing RUCKUS products.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mark_pledl
Contributor

Dear Liinad,

as far as I know it it is not one tunnel per SSID per radio. From my understanding it is only one tunnel that all traffic goes through. So it is not separated like at Aruba APs where you have 1 tunnel per radio per SSID.

But maybe I am wrong and somone from Ruckus team can correct me. But I see at my dataplaned only 1 tunnel per AP or with failover feature 2 tunnels per AP spread out over the dataplanes.

Br,

Mark.

albert_pierson
RUCKUS Team Member
  • Ruckus creates one Tunnel per AP then links all WLAN's/SSID's configured for Data Plane tunneling to that single gre interface.  So the count is per AP configured with tunneled WLAN's/SSID''s 

Hello Albert, 

so using the example in the initial post there would be 1000 tunnels created? 

albert_pierson
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi liinad,

Yes - if you have 1000 AP's with one or more Tunneled WLAN/SSID then the DP/vDP will be terminating 1000 tunnels.  It is one Tunnel per AP and Tunnel is only created when one or more WLAN/SSID are configured for rGRE (Ruckus GRE) tunnels.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks for choosing RUCKUS products.