cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RADIUS not working with new vSZ 5.2???

john_krussaniot
New Contributor III
I currently have a ZoneDirector 3050 which is setup to use RADIUS and it works perfectly. I am trying to configure a new Virtual SmartZone 5.2 that I setup using Hyper-V connect using RADIUS as well, but RADIUS keeps failing. I have tried to replicate the similar settings I have on the ZD3050 but it constantly fails. Has anyone ran into this issue and resolved it successfully?  I'm thinking there are some settings i'm missing somewhere, but I feel like I have tried everything. 
33 REPLIES 33

Numerous times. lol.. I'm in the process or reinstalling the Virtual SmartZone. I will update the forum with the outcome. 

Because we use Windows Groups with a group of users that have access and we also have a or condition for Domain Computers, so machine auth can take place as well (if you have Windows based computers). 

john_krussaniot
New Contributor III
Reinstall of Virtual SmartZone didn't do the trick. I want to know if anybody has a Virtual SmartZone  on Hyper-V and has RADIUS working. I believe the issue is that it picks up the NAS Port-Type as Virtual (Because it is), like Javier mentioned previously. Because my physical ZD3050 works with RADIUS perfectly.  There has to be some tweaking I can do somewhere, but my brain is fried at this point. All ideas are welcomed. 

diego_garcia_de
Contributor III
HI John,

the nas port-type as virtual has nothing to do with the smartzone being a physical or virtual appliance. Its just what it does to create a "fake" test packet. 

In all your first attempts you were not using proxy mode. As such, the APs themselves are sending the radius auth request and thus you need to add all the APs as radius clients on your NPS. 

If you run in proxy mode, then its smartzone sending the requests. Are you able to run wireshark on your NPS server to see if any radius packets are reaching the controller at the IP level? I dont recall if NPS would create event logs for radius packets for unexpected clients.

Thank you for your response. As for Proxy and non-Proxy, I just have one test AP running at the moment. Non-Proxy makes testing faster. I have a Ruckus Engineer working on the issue, and he is having difficulties resolving the issue as well. The problem seems to be with the Virtual SmartZone Controller. I will update the forum with any findings. 

But, I would still love to know if there is anybody out there who successfully uses a Virtual SmartZone Controller on Hyper-V and has RADIUS Authenticaing with a WIndows Server/NPS.