cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from SZ-100 to vSZ-E

peter_riederer_
Contributor

Hello everyone,

we are using a SZ-100 on 5.2.2.0.1161 and we want to migrate to a vSZ-E. I already found some helpful posts regarding migration with Switch-Over Cluster function, but i was wondering if an easier way would also be possible.

This would be my desired procedure:

1. Install a vSZ-E with same Version and import Systems Configuration from the old SZ-100

2. Shut down old SZ-100

3. Start up new vSZ-E

Will this work, or are the system config backups not compatible?

Another approach i have in mind:

1. Install a vSZ-E same Version and with identical settings, except MGMT-IP

2. Shut down old SZ-100

3. Start up new vSZ-E and change IP to the old SZ-100

We are use DNS Detection at the moment, will the APs then automatically show up in the new vSZ-E?

And will the Mesh-APs still work or do i have to reconfigure them?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards

Peter

8 REPLIES 8

@peter_riederer_f0riss0e6v2bd no, you cannot join vSZ-E with SZ100.

Different controller type of v/SmartZones are not compatible with each other.

For example, you cannot create a cluster of vSZ-E with vSZ-H, similarly, SZ100 cannot participate in vSZ cluster. Same is applicable to configuration backup.

This means you have setup the vSZ from scratch.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

JasonKCD
New Contributor

As a customer dealing with this same issue, I feel the need to tell someone at Ruckus that their lack of foresight in creating a process to move from a physical SZ to a vSZ is astounding and ridiculous. I have spent $100K "upgrading" my environment, and now I need to put in a ton of work to get back to where I was before moving to a vSZ. This has really lowered my opinion of Ruckus Wireless and will make me consider other solutions the next time I am ready to upgrade my environment.

I 100% agree. This is the 3rd time in the last 5 years I have to build my controller from scratch. I have made many adjustment over the years so I have to go line by line and create/configure all of my LAN's, ACL's, and services all over again. Was told by sales that the SZ100 and vSZ were the same platform and would be able to migrate seamlessly.. AP Migration is clearly the easy part.. the Configs are the most important part. This should be looking into for future editions.

sokocul
New Contributor

same case with me today....

by : boyz in indonesia