cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing needed for Virtual SmartZone?

john_d
Valued Contributor II

I've got two sites on ZoneDirectors and one on Unleashed, each needing just a few APs but they need Mesh. To add to that complication, one site uses R730s so Unleashed is off the table. I've been evaluating SmartZone on and off and really liking it, and I've got plenty of spare hardware for deploying vSZ.

As my 90 days are coming up, I've started trying to figure out the licensing. From what I can see, I need two basic licenses:

• L09-VSCG-WW00 is the RTU license for the virtual appliance
  • L09-0001-SG00 is an AP capacity license per AP

It seems like neither of these are sold without the corresponding support licenses as well.

Does this sound right? It sounds like the support licenses are yearly while the capacity/RTU licenses are buy-once?

Thanks in advance, I usually would work with a VAR on this but I've found that VARs don't really like to process these kinds of complicated orders for small deployments unless I go in with exact SKUs of what I'd like.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi John,

Below is the info.

RTU (Right to use): One time license you need, to use virtual SmartZone, after initial 90 days of trial.

Support license: Premium support of 1 year, 3 year and 5 year. Talk to your RUCKUS reseller for more info.

It comes with below advantages:

• 24*7 technical support.
  • Access to premium contents on our support page. Like premium knowledge article, etc.
  • Firmware download and controller upgrade.

AP capacity license: For per AP, you need this capacity license. This is also a one time license. Note: vSZ RTU comes with 1 AP license by default.

Refer product data sheet from here, page number 11 for more information.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rob_bush
New Contributor II

I just had to re-install an RTU and AP license on one of my vSZ's.  I'd say your assessment is accurate.  You need an RTU and then AP licenses, and I believe you need to add at least one year of support on if it doesn't already come with it just to be able to purchase them.

As for what requires support, it's the RTU that has the support contract on it, all other licenses are permanent.  My RTU licenses are listed as "WD Premium Support - VSCG-RTU, 5 YR" and have another column with the expiration date.

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi John,

Below is the info.

RTU (Right to use): One time license you need, to use virtual SmartZone, after initial 90 days of trial.

Support license: Premium support of 1 year, 3 year and 5 year. Talk to your RUCKUS reseller for more info.

It comes with below advantages:

• 24*7 technical support.
  • Access to premium contents on our support page. Like premium knowledge article, etc.
  • Firmware download and controller upgrade.

AP capacity license: For per AP, you need this capacity license. This is also a one time license. Note: vSZ RTU comes with 1 AP license by default.

Refer product data sheet from here, page number 11 for more information.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

You need support both for RTU and AP licenses. AP support isn't listed on vSZ, but is checked when you want to upgrade vSZ. To be able to install new version, you must have support for RTU and for at least 90% of AP capacity licenses.

And yes, Ruckus has a great support team, support is fast and efficient. I use support on regular basis (as a partner, I have requests from customers) and it is very helpful. To have the fastest help, you just need to provide sufficient info about problem and system on case opening. Sounds simple, but how many posts you see on this forum stating -- I have a problem, please, help me -- without mentioning any details of WiFi system or problem, without any logs or screenshots.

I have some customers, who have static network for a few years (hotels mainly, install and forget), and don't renew support, but it is really an exception. If you need to add some APs after 2-3 years, most probably they will be new models and it will be impossible without the system upgrade.

john_d
Valued Contributor II

@eizens_putnins thank you for clarifying what ongoing support licenses are needed and when they are checked. I definitely want to be able to keep up to date, so I'll have to factor in the cost of maintaining support. I agree Ruckus support has been great (I spent many years on ZD with an active support license), but at the same time as a tech worker who's fairly well versed in wifi technology, I've rarely needed support unless something starts looking like a firmware bug.