cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downtime Concern in Upgrade vSZ-E

a_ridwan9
New Contributor II

Hi all users. I want to ask in this forum about upgrading virtual Smartzone (vSZ-E). Currently, in my office are using vSZ-E that in 3.6.1 version. My company wants to upgrade this vSZ-E to latest suggested version, 5.2.2. My concern is, if we do upgrade this vSZ-E with following the upgrade path (3.6.1 -> 3.6.2 -> 5.2.2), is that will be downtime on all device (vSZ-E and all AP that has been joined to vSZ-E), or is that will be downtime only for Smartzone and all AP will still up and can be used for giving wifi access to user? Thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Vineet_nejwala

Hi @a_ridwan9 

On the vSZ platform when you upgrade the controller the AP doesn't updates the firmware as design. You would need to go to the each AP zone and chose upgrade AP firmware tab.

When we upgrade the controller, the WiFi will be still working. There are two scenarios where the clients will be impacted during controller upgrade:

If we have a dot1x WLAN with the controller as a proxy setup, then during the controller upgrade, that particular WLAN will not allow clients to authenticate. Already authenticated clients will not have any issues. Only new users who tried to connect to that WLAN will experience the issue.
Also if we have any WLAN with tunneling enabled, that WLAN will not work while upgrading the controller.

The below vSZ upgrade article helps about the details of the checklist which needs to be performed.
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000008288

Note: Before you plan the upgrade to 5.2.2, please make sure to verify the current AP's connected on the network are supported on 5.2.2.

Best Regards

Vineet

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Vineet_nejwala

Hi @a_ridwan9 

On the vSZ platform when you upgrade the controller the AP doesn't updates the firmware as design. You would need to go to the each AP zone and chose upgrade AP firmware tab.

When we upgrade the controller, the WiFi will be still working. There are two scenarios where the clients will be impacted during controller upgrade:

If we have a dot1x WLAN with the controller as a proxy setup, then during the controller upgrade, that particular WLAN will not allow clients to authenticate. Already authenticated clients will not have any issues. Only new users who tried to connect to that WLAN will experience the issue.
Also if we have any WLAN with tunneling enabled, that WLAN will not work while upgrading the controller.

The below vSZ upgrade article helps about the details of the checklist which needs to be performed.
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000008288

Note: Before you plan the upgrade to 5.2.2, please make sure to verify the current AP's connected on the network are supported on 5.2.2.

Best Regards

Vineet

Hello @Vineet_nejwala,

Thanks for contribute on my post here. Also I've been help with @Parik_MN on my same post on another categories. I'll be asked for more if I have any concern later. Thanks in advance.

@a_ridwan9 

No problem, you can come back to us with as many doubt and queries you have and we will answer until all are clarified and happy to help.

Best Regards

Vineet