cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replaced Modem and APs stop working

Bruskins
New Contributor

Decided to swap out my Xfinity rental modem/router (TG02DCW4482CT), for a Motorola (MB8600-10), a modem-only, which is known to be compatible with Xfinity’s system.  Already present in the home are a Ruckus Router (ICX 7150-C12P), and two APs (R510 Series), which all work admirably.

Upon switching to the Motorola modem, hard lines coming from the 7150 continued working, while the APs failed to emit wifi.  Any thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5

Yarenis
The main problem here is that the Motorola modem (MB8600-10) does not run two important protocols, DHCP and NAT, for a one to one connection it works, but everything else that is connected to the ICX7150 switch will not get a connection/IP address, This is because the previous router was in charge of the DHCP protocol (IP addressing assignment), now the Switch and the AP can be configured to run DHCP, the problem is that the modem does not have NAT, which is the second protocol that we use to do the routing between the devices locally to the internet, this is why for Lennar home set up, we use a router or gateway connected to the ICX7150 Switch, hope this information can clarify your doubt.
Yarenis_0-1668727888975.png

Best regards,

Yarenis Hernández

Technical Support Engineer | L2 TAC Wired

Can’t get much clearer than that.  

Is there something I can look for in a new router that will work, so that I can accomplish the mission of replacing the Xfinity router/modem?

Hi @Bruskins 

Sure, you can refer to Motorola's guide to see how to configure DHCP for the Motorola modem (MB8600-10), but believe me the modems don't have that feature, that's why customers buy a gateway.

Best regards,

Yarenis Hernández

Technical Support Engineer | L2 TAC Wired

Cicampbell76
New Contributor

Lost power on Comcast wireless router/modem which had been working fine with Ruckus 7150 and AP 510. Lost all internet, then got Comcast up and running again.  Problem now is no internet coming from Ruckus combo, though I can see it’s wireless network in my phone/ computer/ iPad Wi-Fi system.  I have unplugged everything in the Ruckus 7150 - power, input from Comcast, output to 510 AP but still no internet.  HELP!!