cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot turn on PoE for Ring Doorbell port on ICX 7150-C12P

KenB2386
New Contributor

I have one of the first 2018 Lennar smarthomes in our community with this switch, 2 APs, and a RING doorbell. They worked fine for 5 1/2 years and I had never tried to check anything until now. It appears to be running 2017 switch firmware.

This winter, the doorbell went offline while we were away for a long time. The APs are still working. The switch has no IP address so I finally got connected via the serial port and the inline power command shows Class 3 PoE ON for the 2 APs. 

The management status of ports 1-6 is ON. Port 2 where the doorbell cable connects is marked as non-PD. When I try to configure the port 2 for class 3, I get a warning that the configuration for that port was not changed.

What does that mean the problem probably is?

Does it mean the doorbell cable is trying to draw too much power?

What is the best way to troubleshoot the problem?

I assume the fact that the switch has no IP address is not related to this problem and will work on that separately.  I have no idea if it ever had one.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @KenB2386 

Thank you for the update.

Please check my previous response mentioned that PoE issues from the non-UFI versions are resolved in UFI Versions. Upgrading the Switch with UFI version only is the key solution for the PoE issues and for some other bugs. 

I think you missed my last response or misread it once again.

Your question 'how PoE would turn out?' is a hardware-related process. We are the Technical team on this forum to troubleshoot the Switch software-related issues and NOT Hardware issues.

If any hardware issues arise in the future, you can reach out on this forum and we are happy to assist with replacements (RMA).

However, as it was mentioned upgrading the Switch resolved the issue. Good to know about it.

I appreciate your attention to learning about PoE (Power over Ethernet) in detail. Please refer to the below link which can help you understand how it works.

https://intellinetsolutions.com/pages/power-over-ethernet-technology

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

KenB2386
New Contributor

I would like to add, the doorbell port's light is blinking amber like a few other ports do.

I think that is supposed to mean a 100Mbps or lower-speed connection so it seems contradictory.

Hi @KenB2386 

Greetings!!!

Thank you for contacting RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.

I hope you are doing well!!!

Thank you for the information you shared.

As per the case description, I understand that some of your RUCKUS ICX-7150-C12P ports are not working.

The power consumption/class to any devices connected to the Switch will be transmitted automatically by the Switch. We could try to factory reset the Switch and try. 

Please note, there will NOT be any loss of data or configuration. Factory reset will just reset with the default configuration. 

Please perform the below commands in the Command line (CLI) to factory reset the RUCKUS ICX-7150-C12P Switch. (Also please refer to the below screenshot)

enable 

erase system factory-default

y

Please check and let me know if you have any queries in this regard.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

Your response seems to say contradictory things.

Either it sets factory defaults or I don't lose any configuration settings... cannot both be true since I know the switch defaults to no PoE ports and this one is enabled for PoE on ports 1-6. And the command confirmation prompt makes it very clear that all will be lost if not saved (and manually restored I guess).

Does a port only show its configuration when a device is connected? I ask because I suspect ports 1-6 were all configured for class 3 and, if so, that could be why I got the warning that port 2 was not changed when I tried to set it to class 3. There is a subtle difference between "it was not changed" as in it cannot be set to class 3 and "it was already set to class 3".

What would "show inline power" show if the doorbell was dead or trying to draw too much power? It used to work.

Thanks.

Ken

Hi @KenB2386 

Thank you for the response. 

As mentioned clearly in my previous response, The power consumption/class to any devices connected to the Switch will be transmitted automatically by the Switch. 

There is no additional configuration required or needs to be changed for Lennar home Switches. It has to be default configurations.

Please perform the factory reset to the Switch as described previously.

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi