cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot turn on PoE for Ring Doorbell port on ICX 7150-C12P

KenB2386
New Contributor

I have one of the first 2018 Lennar smarthomes in our community with this switch, 2 APs, and a RING doorbell. They worked fine for 5 1/2 years and I had never tried to check anything until now. It appears to be running 2017 switch firmware.

This winter, the doorbell went offline while we were away for a long time. The APs are still working. The switch has no IP address so I finally got connected via the serial port and the inline power command shows Class 3 PoE ON for the 2 APs. 

The management status of ports 1-6 is ON. Port 2 where the doorbell cable connects is marked as non-PD. When I try to configure the port 2 for class 3, I get a warning that the configuration for that port was not changed.

What does that mean the problem probably is?

Does it mean the doorbell cable is trying to draw too much power?

What is the best way to troubleshoot the problem?

I assume the fact that the switch has no IP address is not related to this problem and will work on that separately.  I have no idea if it ever had one.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @KenB2386 

Thank you for the update.

Please check my previous response mentioned that PoE issues from the non-UFI versions are resolved in UFI Versions. Upgrading the Switch with UFI version only is the key solution for the PoE issues and for some other bugs. 

I think you missed my last response or misread it once again.

Your question 'how PoE would turn out?' is a hardware-related process. We are the Technical team on this forum to troubleshoot the Switch software-related issues and NOT Hardware issues.

If any hardware issues arise in the future, you can reach out on this forum and we are happy to assist with replacements (RMA).

However, as it was mentioned upgrading the Switch resolved the issue. Good to know about it.

I appreciate your attention to learning about PoE (Power over Ethernet) in detail. Please refer to the below link which can help you understand how it works.

https://intellinetsolutions.com/pages/power-over-ethernet-technology

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Hi @KenB2386 

Greetings!!!

Thank you for the response.

Please note, SPS08080f.bin upgrade patch must be use as a intermediate version then we can upgrade to the recommended UFI version. Same is explained in the guides.

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

KenB2386
New Contributor

My mistake. I misread it. I have to wait a few days before I can upgrade the switch.

Hi @KenB2386 

Thank you for the response and the update.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

I was about to try the upgrade and wondered whether or not it would be good to do the reset to factory defaults first but the commands you gave do not work on my switch.

They were:

Please perform the below commands in the Command line (CLI) to factory reset the RUCKUS ICX-7150-C12P Switch. (Also please refer to the below screenshot)

enable 

erase system factory-default

y

Typing erase TAB lists only erase image/configuration from flash commands at that level

Everything I have read so far says the latest firmware enables all ports for PoE.

What should I expect their state to be after doing the upgrade if I change no configuration now?

Hi @KenB2386 
Greetings!!!

Thank you for the response and the update.

Please note, that this factory reset Switch command cannot be executed on an old non-UFI version.

We suggest you upgrade your Switch to the recommended UFI version.

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi