cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying a licence to a switch stack

Sydney_N
New Contributor II

I'm fairly new to networking so I apologize if this is fairly obvious. I googled, but I was unsuccessful/confused.

We recently received new ICX7400 switches. I consoled into each one and upgraded the firmware to 08090k and applied licenses to each. We then ended up stacking 3 of the switches. It seems unnecessary to have 3 different licenses for 1 switch stack. I'd like to remove the licenses from units 2 and 3 and repurpose those licenses for later use (I'm just assuming this is the right answer to that).

Before I remove those, I want to be sure that I'm not making a big mess by accidentally missing something. Are there any steps that need to be taken for the single license to apply to the entire switch stack, or will the stack just figure it out after I remove the additional licenses and reload?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor

Hi Sydney,

What is the license you applied?

You normally need a license per switch, regardless of whether they are stacked or not.

Best, 
Darrel.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor

Hi Sydney,

What is the license you applied?

You normally need a license per switch, regardless of whether they are stacked or not.

Best, 
Darrel.

BenBeck

Hey @Sydney_N 

What license are you referencing here? Are you talking about port licenses or feature licenses? You will need every unit in the stack to have the appropriate feature license; they should all match (ex. Layer 3 Prem). 

Regarding port licenses, you can use those as needed on each unit. Here are some details in our licensing guide:

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/fastiron-08090-licenseguide/page/GUID-FF748918-B3FC-46D4-88D3-8930...

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/fastiron-08090-licenseguide/page/GUID-B01E798A-B196-4544-86C2-DC90...

Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

Sydney_N
New Contributor II

Thank you Ben and Darrel,

Feature license, and they all match (layer 3 prem), that's no problem. But this does answer my question in a way. Good to know for sure that a license is required for each switch, regardless of stacking.