cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R770 Flashing Amber and can't set up

igobypenn
New Contributor II

I recently purhcased a ruckus R770. 

Very basically I've tried to follow the AP Setup guide on the ruckus website but haven't been able to complete it. 

I'm using a POE Injector ( TRENDnet TPE-319GI capable of POE++ and 10G) and new 1ft cat 6a cables. 

First set up I tried. 

AP -> POE Port on injector, Laptop -> POE Data Port. In this situation The AP will power on and the LED indicator will go from Solid RED -> Solid Amber -> Flashing Amber. And no matter how long i wait (up to 6 hrs) the LED will never turn to solid green and even when setting static IP address on Laptop to suggested 192.168.0.22 , I cannot access 192.168.0.1 in any web browser(chrome,firefox,brave,edge)

Next Set up i tried was 

AP-> poe port on injector, POE Data Port -> Switch and Laptop to Switch. Same exact result. 

I then tried factory reseting by holding the reset button until the light went from red-> red with green to solid red). I then again tried the above scenarios exhibiting the same behavior. 

At this point , I don't know what else to try and some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I reimaged the AP with the Firmware(since it was now available)... even though the version i upgraded to was the same as the one get version returned with. Once the upgrade completed, all changes started persisting as expected. I guess between restarts or otherwise something was corrupted or wrong with Firmware on my specific device but seems resolved. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Ok, you are with the right version.

From CLI, enable HTTP and HTTPS and then try to access the AP again through your browser:

set http enable
set https enable

Bruno Andrade | Principal TSE Bulldog Americas | RCNA | CWNA | CWDP
Follow me on LinkedIn

That finally worked, and I followed the rest of the set up guide.

For completeness: 

1. ssh into device 

2. update password 

3. enable http + https

4. login to web server with updated credentials (enable 2.4ghz and 5ghz network)

5. disable looking for controller server. 

6. log out

7. unplug power 

8. Replug POE power.

Upon reboot, the device is back to configuring state and ssh is even back to super/sp-admin. I noticed this before too, the ssh updated password never persisted. 

igobypenn
New Contributor II

So, following up, i still haven't been able to get the device to go into a green healthy state even after going through the web portal.  I've tried reseting and all 3 variants of long presses and still haven't been able to have changes persist across restarts. 

The LED will keep blinking, as it is looking for a controller. However, it should save your SSID configuration and not factory reset after you unplug/plug the PoE. This should allow you to use the AP as standalone (you can configure the SSID by going to Configuration -> Radio).

Could you please go to Configuration -> Device through the web?
Change the username/password on this screen, then click 'update settings,' wait a few seconds, unplug and plug in the PoE, and check if it keeps the new username/password or if it reverts to the default again.

Bruno Andrade | Principal TSE Bulldog Americas | RCNA | CWNA | CWDP
Follow me on LinkedIn

Doesn't work. Anytime I plug the AP powers on, it resets to default state. 

and after updating on first ssh login i get the following message: 

Successfully completed setting the new password

Please note that the new password will be overwritten once you join to SZ/ZD with the password configured in zone

Once enabled in the UI i set up 2.4ghz wireless network and 5ghz. Once that is set up the AP light will turn green. I then change username and password once more. Log out. 

If i use the built restart in the UI, or Unplug POE the result is the same. The device will always return to super/sp-admin as username password and wireless networks are gone, and configureme-XXXX is only network seen over wifi. 

In the settings i disable any mention of  central control or smart controls as well each time. 

Furthermore, this last time i tried, i didn't even restart the device, but instead accessed the AP over wifi from my phone logged out of AP without changing any settings and then the device went from SOlid green to flashing amber. And then i ultimately restarted it back to default state by unplugging POE power. 

And it's worth noting, i've done this at least 3times before posting this response. IN mutliple variations.