cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to direct connect devices to ruckus switch to provide etherent?

jared_lynch_adx
New Contributor II
Hello, I recently moved into an apartment where they are using R510's to provide internet. So far the performance is less than adequate for gaming what so ever, constant disconnects and ping spikes. I was wondering if I could take the PoE ethernet cable out of the r510, install a PoE switch and run that to my ethernet from the new switch to my devices and also to the r510?

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi Jared,

Could you provide the network topology diagram, so that we can understand how devices are connected correctly and how you want connect them later.

If I am understanding it correctly, there will be no different because you are just adding one more device to the network path between internet to R510.

Please provide more information like how devices are connected to each other and to the internet, AP is managed by a controller or standalone or Unleashed.

Also confirm what speeds you are getting and what is the expected speed.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Well I'm still waiting to hear back from them, in the meantime I tried to take the Ethernet out of the r510 and insert it into my laptop to see if I get anything and it was just showing "unidentified network - no internet". So my question is how is it possible the r510 works off that Ethernet but when I hardwired it to my computer I get no internet access?

Thanks,
Jared

Lots of ways, including tunnels and ACLs Try using Wireshark to see if there's an ACL or other "Port security" program in play. 

Hi Jared,

Plug the R510 back, access its GUI and check if it has static IP assigned to it or dynamic.

If AP has static IP and there is no DHCP server configured on the router/modem then you will not get IP while connect directly to ethernet.

What Andrew suggested also possible so check both.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn