cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to direct connect devices to ruckus switch to provide etherent?

jared_lynch_adx
New Contributor II
Hello, I recently moved into an apartment where they are using R510's to provide internet. So far the performance is less than adequate for gaming what so ever, constant disconnects and ping spikes. I was wondering if I could take the PoE ethernet cable out of the r510, install a PoE switch and run that to my ethernet from the new switch to my devices and also to the r510?

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

Andrew, I have wireshark up and running capturing packets, what exactly should I be looking for to see if there's some sort of ACL? (I'm a wireshark amateur).

Syamantak, in order to access the GUI will I need to connect an Ethernet cable from my laptop/PC to the r510? or can that be done wireless?

Hi Jared,

I was assuming that R510 was working fine and you were able to connect to wireless network using R510, before you unplugged the POE cable from it. Right?

I suggested you to connect the R510 back to POE (as it was connected before) and then connect a laptop to wifi network and try to access "unleashed.ruckuswireless.com".

Also check what IP you are getting when connected to WiFi. If you don't know the IP address of the R510, try to run a IP scan (use any freeware IP scanner application) while you are connected to wifi and see if you can findout R510 AP in the IP scan result.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Yes the R510 is working. I tried accessing the "unleashed.ruckuswireless.com" but the page can't be found. I also found the IP address of what I believe is the R510.

It sounds like I have no access to any of the internals of the network so I think my only option to improve the internet here is to get an old router and run it as a repeater to get better wifi coverage and so I can run some ethernet from the router to some of my devices. Does this seem like a decent plan or is there better options?

Thanks,
Jared

What IP you are getting when connected to wifi and what is the IP of R510? If both are on same subnet, you should be able to access.

Try to ping the R510's IP while connected to wifi.

You can also try a different way to access R510. Connect you laptop directly to R510's second eth port, configure same subnet IP as R510 on your laptop and then try to access R510.

Yes, you can use a repeater but that will simply half the speed, what you are getting from Unleashed R510 (Assuming that you are going to connect router to R510's wifi as a repeater).

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

My laptop's IP is 100.69.53.131 and the R510's IP is 100.69.53.1 and I have my laptop plugged into the R510. What do I change the IPV4 properties to?