cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not enough electricity power provided with AP warning ?

george_wang_cdz
New Contributor III
After upgrading to Unleashed 200.8, my PoE switch powered R610 showing "Not enough electricity power" warning ? I am sure my PoE switch can provide both 802.3af and 802.3at power output and my R610 works well with both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID running. any idea ? 
39 REPLIES 39

john_d
Valued Contributor II
This seems to be the intended design. Ruckus APs do not respect the static POE class based support for 802.3at. Instead, they expect to be able to negotiate over LLDP with the switch and unless they succeed at that, they assume that the switch is 802.3af. You can force override them to 802.3at or 802.3at+ if you know what you're doing and have a switch that doesn't support this kind of negotiation.

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
And spread the APs across your switch ports...

philip_march
New Contributor III
I am seeing the same issue on my R710 running off a Cisco RV350p which is PoE+.  Never had this issue until I noticed it this week... shortly after upgrading firmware to 200.8.10.3.243.  Tried to force 802.3at through ssh commands to R710 but still showing power is at af level.  This is not the only firmware issue I'm seeing with Ruckus products.  Has been my go to for network installs, but I cannot move forward with them until I see more consistent firmware upgrades that don't cause problems.

daniel_m
Contributor

Seeing the same issue—port 2 being an R710 and port 3 an R610.  The R710 doesn’t appear to be doing LLDP by default.  What my switch sees is below and this remains unchanged even after enabling lldp on the R710 as noted in another post here.  The switch settings are the same for both ports.

switch(config)# sh lldp info remote-device 2

LLDP Remote Device Information Detail
switch(config)# sh lldp info remote-device 3
 LLDP Remote Device Information Detail
  Local Port   : 3
  ChassisType  : mac-address
  ChassisId    : ...
  PortType     : mac-address
  PortId       : ...
  SysName      : R610
  System Descr : Ruckus R610 Multimedia Hotzone Wireless AP/SW Version: 20...
  PortDescr    : eth0
  Pvid         :
  System Capabilities Supported  : bridge, wlan-access-point, router
  System Capabilities Enabled    : bridge, wlan-access-point
  Remote Management Address
     Type    : ipv4
     Address : ...
  Poe Plus Information Detail
    Poe Device Type         : Type2 PD
    Power Source            : Only PSE
    Power Priority          : Unknown
    Requested Power Value   : 25.0 Watts
    Actual Power Value      : 25.0 Watts

ab_cm9fbwwroiuv
New Contributor II
I've since been able to confirm that this is definitely not tied to the one R720 (which is not surprising, since others are seeing the same issue). This also, unfortunately, does affect an R750 I was able to test with.

As far as I can tell, LLDP (and LLDP-MED) are fully enabled on both the AP and switch. "get lldp" on the AP does indicate everything is enabled there. "get lldp neighbors" does also display the correct information for my switch, though the only entry I see related to PoE is "UPOE: 0". Hopefully the AP is checking for more than just UPoE.

On the switch, LLDP is enabled globally and in "Tx & Rx" mode for all ports (which is the default, and fully enabled). LLDP-MED is also enabled for all ports. Pulling up the information for the port the AP is connected to, though, it doesn't look like the AP is transmitting any MED properties. All MED details are blank ("N/A"), though standard LLDP details are all there and correct.

I'll reiterate that I did try to force the AP to 802.11at, and this appeared to have no effect. Do I need to do something other than changing the setting in the UI? (The CLI setting just seems to follow the UI.)

Considering that this seemed to be working prior to an AP firmware update, this certainly sounds like an issue with the Ruckus firmware. I am currently running the latest firmware from 6/10 (200.8.10.3.278), so no fixes so far on that end.