cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to add a new/better AP into an existing network for better range

matt_hodge_d5fx
New Contributor III
We have a network of about 25 Ruckus ZF7962 APs, and the controller we are using is a ZD3050 Version 9.8.3.0 build 58. There is one location where the wifi drops out completely in this one area of the building. I realize the 7962 APs are EOL and on the older side, so I was wondering if there is a newer AP with expanded range that will perform better, that I can add to the existing network/controller to correct the dead spot. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. 
3 REPLIES 3

andrew_giancol1
Contributor III
ZF7982 REPRESENT. Also, you might be able to run R600's, which are also a very nice AP.
Long Live Dual Band Radios!
ZF7982- https://support.ruckuswireless.com/products/38-ruckus-7982#sort=relevancy&f:@commonproducts=[Zon...
R600 - https://support.ruckuswireless.com/products/69-ruckus-r600#sort=relevancy&f:@commonproducts=[R60...

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi Matt,

Below are the best options.

• ZoneFlex R500 Dual Band 802.11ac Access Point build 9.8.3.0.14
• ZoneFlex R600 Dual Band 802.11ac Access Point build 9.8.3.0.14
• ZoneFlex R700 Dual Band 802.11ac Access Point build 9.8.3.0.14

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor
Hi Matt,

I want to clarify that whilst the suggestions above for newer AP options that are compatible with your legacy firmware are great, you should not expect any significant improvement in signal coverage with a newer model of AP.  The ZF7962 had powerful TX (upto 26dB), which is significantly higher than similar current APs, such as the R610 (upto 22dB).

Signal (RSSI) is largely dictated by local regulatory limitations, material attenuation and client device limitations. In indoor scenarios, most 3-stream (and above) APs can exceed regulatory limits at 2.4GHz.

I would recommend adding in additional AP(s) in the areas where you require additional coverage.

HTH,
Darrel.