cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will SNMP damage the zone director 1200/1205

itdept_head_me
Contributor

Yep.. it sounds like a stupid question,

but does  R/O SNMP do anything to a zone director that is likely to make it fail?

In particular, does it cause excessive writing/reading from  NVram or  Nand memory,when enabled?

or is the data written to memory irrespective of the SNMP status.

4 REPLIES 4

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi,

Pushing too much traffic can impact the performance of any device, not just ZD.

There are many factors like how big is the network, how many APs and clients ZD is handling on a specific time/peak hours and what number of services are running on the ZD.

SNMP alone should not cause CPU/memory related issues because ZD has good hardware resource level to manage the network. I have not seen any such issue but there could be exceptions.

If you are facing such issue, please report to support, then can login to ZD CLI shell mode and can check the processes utilizing the max memory and find out if SNMP is using more than expected HW resources.

Also taking a packet capture by port mirror SW port where ZD is connected, it will help to analyze the traffic flow. 

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

itdept_head_me
Contributor

Hi,

This has NOTHING to do with my question.

you are talking about BANDWIDTH & LATENCY issues related to traffic volume. and "traffic flow"

I am asking about PHYSICAL damage to the storage chips inside the Zone director.

due to excessive read/write cycles on the chips.....

since i don't know HOW  , Ruckus stores the data, (RAM/NVram/FLASH/etc)

i cannot answer these questions....

regarding  the network environment..... ...not an issue, its optical.

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi,

I don't think the information you are looking here is easily available and may need attention from engineering or PLM team.

Please open a support case with the query and they should be able to check with concerned team.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

itdept_head_me
Contributor

Why ?

this sort of information should be publicly available.

or is it perhaps in some way related to  Zone directors1205's going "dead" or off line?

Being unable to retain  DHCP records in the NVram?