cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unleashed without a router?

steve_6258450
New Contributor
Small hotel, just nine rooms. Plus a small brewery. Currently, we have fibre into the building. a D-Link router pushes the signal to two Apple Airport Extreme base stations. From there it is wireless to hotel guests and brewery customers. AND IT SUCKS. So, i just ordered two of the 600 models for unleashed. Pretty excited. My question is whether i can discard the D-Link router all-together? it seems if my ISP can assign a static IP, then i do not need a router. Can't i feed the fibre to the switch directly and then connect the primary and secondary AP via the switch? 
5 REPLIES 5

hyosang_choi
Valued Contributor
Unfortunately, UAP doesn't yet support NAT function.

You must deploy router in your site.

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
you can leave the DLINK as it is to use as router to provide DHCP function and turn off the WiFi radio.

thanks. My thought, as a layperson, is that the overall performance is only as good as its weakest link. and that the router being a residential class product was likely a weak link. Maybe my thinking is way off?

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Hi Steve,

Currently Unleashed APs need to be deployed into a LAN that has a router/default-gateway
to the Internet (what Jeronimo said).

As you have fibre to your DLINK and it provides DHCP and a default-gateway for your clients to the Internet now,
leaving it in place (as Monnat said) is necessary.

His suggestion to turn off the Wi-Fi on the DLINK means all your wireless clients will go thru the Unleashed APs,
that can replace the Apples.  That should upgrade/improve perceived performance for your wireless clients.