cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Device Roaming

jeremy_west_564
New Contributor II
I am having a problem with frequent disconnects on apple devices when signal strength is great. In looking into this further, I noticed that the apple devices in question are roaming at an alarming rate. This is happening across iPad, iPod, and MacBook platforms. For example, I looked at an apartment with an iPod touch that was roaming every 30 seconds or so. There is a Win7 laptop in the same apartment that has not roamed one time. I have about 40 Apple devices on the network and similar behavior is happening on 70% of them. I have about 40 other devices on the network and this is not happening with any of them that I have looked at so far. What is more, the Apple devices are roaming out from a nearby AP to an AP several hundred feet away with a few buildings between them. The user is not leaving the apartment but the device is roaming to APs throughout the campus, even APs it either should not see at all, or just barely.

Any ideas? Has anyone seen anything like this before?
75 REPLIES 75

IT Scott: Is your second site still problem free? Have you tried using one of your site#1 "problem" Mac devices at your second site?

Thanks, RiX

Second site is still doing good (90% Mac there). My personal system is a Mac that is used at both sites. The problem still exists for me at the one site only (although it's much better with the SmartRoam=1 and with the DoS prevention off).

Please let us know if you are ever able to determine the magic solution at site #2 !!!!

Unfortunately, it looks like it's started happening at my second site as well (with current versions). We're seeing clients (mostly Mac) start to excessively roam. That's not promising. 😞

Is your second site still having problems?