cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsuccessfully creating mesh network

mike_degrazzio
New Contributor

Let me start by saying I'm not well versed in networking. I know the basics. I bought two Ruckus R710 units. I want to create a mesh network. I've watched the youtube tutorials. It's all very straight forward. I'm running into the same problem no matter what I try. I configure one AP with a static and assign an SSID. Without enabling mesh the unit works just fine. When I enable mesh, the unit reboots, then broadcasts a Recover.me##### SSID. I am unable to acces the web gui via assigned IP or default IP. I just want to create a mesh network with bot R710s, using one AP as the master, but once I enable mesh I have to restore to default to gain access again to try it again. What am I missing???

7 REPLIES 7

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Mike,

Make sure master AP (which will also be the root AP for this setup) is connected to wired network correctly and you are configuring correct static IP/subnetmask/gateway.

Post enabling the mesh, if AP is unable to reach gateway IP, it will start showing island or recover.me SSID.

You can connect to island or recover.me SSID using APs serial number as  password. Try to connect and then check if you are able to access the AP in isolated state. If yes, SSH into it and then try to ping gateway IP.

If gateway IP is not reachable, this means there is some issue with network connection or IP configuration.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

How do I do this - "SSH into it and then try to ping gateway IP." ?

Additionally: The recover.me###### SSID appears but once I connect I am not prompted to enter a password. I can connect to the SSID but the URL unleashed.ruckuswireless.com and the assigned IP do not connect to the web gui.

If I assign a static IP of lets say 172.16.2.2, and a gateway IP 172.16.2.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0 and DNS server IP 172.16.2.1, I can connect properly and my peripheral devices can connect to the network, as does the second R710 wired via ethernet. The system works fine wired. But as soon as I enable mesh I het the problems stated above.

Could you please share a basic network topology.

Do you want to use mesh or enabling it for future use?

You can SSH into AP with it's IP address and the username password (whatever you created during setup wizard).

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn