cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate 2.4 vs 5ghz SSID's

richard_faris_j
New Contributor II
I'm replacing 3-4 Pakedge WX-1's in my home with Unleashed R710's.  I want to use the same SSID's so that I don't have to reconnect a gazillion devices.  I'm a step above novice when it comes to networking and typically know what I need to know to perform my job.  This one has me stumped.  How to I create separates, or can I just create 2 in the Ruckus setup that match the names and security of the two SSID's I'm running now?  Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi Rich,

Creating same SSID on Ruckus as your old setup may not help. Though new SSID name will be same but devices will not connect automatically and you have to connect them at least once, so that devices can remember the network settings for future connections.

Now come to the main query, creating 2.4 vs 5 G SSID. In Unleashed, when you create a new SSID, it gives you option whether you want to deploy on both bands (2.4 and 5 G) or just one them.

Configuration path: Unleashed GUI >> WLAN (Create new or edit existing WLAN settings) >> Advanced options >> Radio Control >> Enable WLAN on (Options are, All radios/2.4 G or 5 G).

If you choose All radios, then same SSID name will broadcast on 5 and 2.4 G radio.

Image_ images_messages_5f91c450135b77e247a1d098_958e7ef435587ed84cf334d26fa8185b_RackMultipart20200629128374zij-e0f3ff23-d120-422f-a5ce-76c13d96b5e5-1927380453.png1593428894

For more configuration help, you may refer the user guide.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/2599-ruckus-unleashed-200-7-ga-user-guide/download

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/3123-ruckus-unleashed-200-8-ga-user-guide/download

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Hi Syamantak,

I have the R550 and I'm also trying to create 2 SSID for which one will be 2.4g and the other 5g but I don't see any option for this, it doesn't even have a radio selection, please could you help point me in the right direction. Thanks

richard_faris_j
New Contributor II
I did find the setting. A little poking around and I was able to find the setting. Thank you.

As for the SSID’s being cloned, everything seems to be okay without any further attention. How would I know? Just of a device seems to be acting up?

Hi Rich,

Good to know that you figured it out already.

Sorry I did not understand your query "How would I know? Just of a device seems to be acting up?".

Could you elaborate.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn