cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vSZ 5.1.x Administrators - Active Directory

james_mcmillan_
New Contributor II
Hi

I have a vSZ (v5.1.2.0.302), and am trying to configure an AAA server for SmartZone Administrators.  The manual doesn't seem to be giving me what I need - or at least, I'm not seeing the wood for the trees.  I also have a couple of questions to follow..

I've configured an AAA AD server: Administrators -> Admins & Roles -> AAA:

Name: domain.local
Type: Active Directory
Realm: domain.local
Default Role Mapping: Off
IP address: 1.2.3.4
Port: 389
Windows Domain Name: dc=domain,dc=local

Test AAA is a success, but:

1. How do I actually add AD users or groups to 'Administrators'?
2. How can I add a second Domain Controller?
3. Port 389 is essentially LDAP in plain text - if I choose port 636 (LDAPS) - it fails.  How do I secure comms to the Domain Controller?

New to the World of SmartZones, so forgive me for the basics..

Cheers, James

11 REPLIES 11

sanjay_kumar
RUCKUS Team Member
Hi James,

Check the below steps:

1. You need to create a group for the access on the SZ under Administration --> Admins and Roles --> Click ‘Create’ Under Groups.
2. Create a local user on the "Available Users" step and add it in the "Selected Users".
3. Add the AD under Administration --> Admins and Roles --> AAA --> Create -->.
4. Map the domain name "training.com" (my lab domain name), under "Realm".
5. Enable "Default Role Mapping" and map the SZ User Group create along with along SZ local user created.
6. You need to map the domain and the AD users  on the "Windows Domain Name".
7. Example for the domain training.com CN=Users,DC=training,DC=com
8. On the AD, fo to Run >> lpd.exe
9. Click on Connection >> Connect >> type localhost wits port 389.
10. Click on connection >> Bind >> Map the administrator user.
11. Click on View >> Tree >> add the base domain name. In my case it is CN=Users,DC=training,DC=com

Once done, test the authentication from the SZ>> Administration >> Admin and Roles >> AAA >>> Test AAA

If you need to have more filters for the user groups, try using LDAP option on the SZ.

I've followed your instructions and the AAA Server test returns "AAA testing: Success! Associated with Default Role Mapping [TestUser of TestGroup]".

The problem is that when I try to log in, I get an error that says "User is not assigned to an admin user group". The group's account security is set to default.

FYI this has been identified as a bug in v5.1.2.0.302 and is reportedly fixed in v5.2.x