cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad default apps won't install on Smart Zone WLANs, but will on other networks

mark_payton
New Contributor II
I recently migrated our APs from Unleashed to Smart Zone. I copied the configuration settings from one of the APs when I set SZ up and everything looks correct. However, when I set up a new iPad that connects to the iPad only WLAN (using an L2 Access Control MAC address list), the default iPad apps do not install on the iPad and cannot be forced to do so. When I connect the same iPad to another WiFi network (such as a hotspot from my phone) the apps install without issue. This problem began about the same time as this conversion, though I didn't have reason to encounter this until a month or so after the conversion so I cannot say with absolute certainty that this is the cause. All else on the network is unchanged, however.

Has anyone encountered this and found a resolution?
5 REPLIES 5

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi Mark,

I would suggest removing L2 ACL and check if iPad is able to install default iPad apps.

If yes, then it must be something to do with the ACL and WLAN configuration.

You may also try creating a test WLAN with all default configuration and just add one dummy L2 MAC in ACL and then test the behaviour.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Thank you for the suggestions, Syamantak. I should have mentioned that I have a guest VLAN that has no access controls of any kind, nor any ACL (none of the VLANS have anything special for security except the L2 access on the others) and the same problem occurs when I connect the iPad to that WLAN SSID.

Thank you for the suggestions, Syamantak. I should have mentioned that I have a guest VLAN that has no access controls of any kind, nor any ACL (none of the VLANS have anything special for security except the L2 access on the others) and the same problem occurs when I connect the iPad to that WLAN SSID.

Ok, could you create a new standard WLAN with no settings modified and test the behaviour.

Guest WLAN uses inbuilt L3 ACL to prevent guest client reaching local network but the internet.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn