cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade VSZ-HS from 5.1.2 to latest release

mohammad_shamse
New Contributor III

Hello Team,

I have a virtual smartzone-high scale controller running on version 5.1.2.0.302. The APs associated to the controller are mainly R320. I am planning to upgrade the controller, would you kindly inform me about the latest release that would be possible to upgrade to in my case ? besides, what are the steps required to perform the upgrade from GUI ? and will there be any downtime regarding the APs service ?

Thanks for your valuable responses in advance ! 

8 REPLIES 8

@mohammad_shamseddine that looks good to me.

For AP firmware upgrade, you have to manually go into each zone and change the AP firmware. This means firmware will be available, but you have to manually upgrade each zone to latest/desired AP firmware.

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/sz-522-adminguide-sz100vsz/page/GUID-F60F250C-7008-4F61-B4E9-04ABC...

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

@mohammad_shamseddine

Yes the steps are correct. For the AP upgrade you need to go to each AP zone click on more and click on change firmware and select new code. This behavior is default on SZ/vSZ where controller would upgrade but AP will not until user wants it to, unlike in ZD.

Best Regards

Vineet

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

Actually you can upgrade to 6.0. But important is not what majority APs are, but if you have at least 1 AP, not supported on that version. Any zone, having at least 1 unsupported AP (even off-line) will prevent you from upgrading. Version 6.0  supports 802.11ax and 802.11ac W2 APs.  So get your model list from vSZ and compare with list in the Release Note for respective vSZ version. 

If all your zones are already on 5.1.2 firmware, than you definitely can upgrade to 6.0.  

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

6.0 has very different menu layout, which is a bit a shock in the beginning.