cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Maps API

thomas_carter_4
New Contributor II
We jjust deployed a new virtual SmartZone controller and are loving the functionality. However, we are getting an error on the health map concerning the Google Maps. Support says we need a Google Maps API key, but Google just changed their Google Maps setting a this month (June 2018) and now requires a billing account to get an API key. Existing API keys will require a billing account in the future if you don't already have one. The only way to get a billing account is to give Google a valid, existing credit card number.  I refuse to give Google a credit card number to make my Ruckus controller work as it was demonstrated to me before the sale.
14 REPLIES 14

bill_pier_77033
New Contributor II
It shouldn't be the customer paying to use Google Maps -- it should be Ruckus!

After a new install the first thing that hits you is a request to set up a Google API account and pay for the service.

The amount of money is not really relevant to me, I doubt it's that much. The hassle of getting the company to reimburse credit cards and the knowledge that we need to keep feeding and maintaining yet another service is what annoys me. For any reasonably large company, setting up a relationship with another third party supplier is not a trivial thing. Do I have the rights to set up a relationship between my company and Google? It's just extra friction that could have been avoided by picking a different service. 
Rant over. 

I disagree a bit.  Any other vendor using a mapping service, from Google or other provider, doesn't turn around and tell their customers to setup billing and linkage for the map feature!
If Ruckus wants to provide a mapping component in their product, then they build-in any additional costs for that component.

Given that we're already paying for a 'Cadillac' of network management product, the use of Google Maps in the ZD console should be included! 

I don't disagree, it does make Ruckus look a bit cheap.

It could have been avoided if you use something free like openstreetmap.org. Ruckus could have made OSM a one off donation on our behalf to support a worthwhile cause and everyone would have been happy. 

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
We've recently created content around the ZD/SZ Google Maps error, posted on our How-to-Hub.
Please read the articles and view the videos and share your comments.  We hope these will
be helpful to answer/resolve the problem.

https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruckuswireless/topics/resolving-the-google-maps-error-in-zonedirec...