cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enquiry on SCG, vSCG and SAM

andreas_georgio
New Contributor III
Hello, I have a few quick questions for the community. I have been contacted by a few of my clients, asking about the capabilities of the SmartCell Gateway... some of them also asked on whether instead of buying additional hardware, would it be possible to buy SCG as a hosted cloud service.

So my questions are:
1) If a client doesn't want to buy any hardware appliances (eg SCG) is it possible to buy a cloud based hosted SCG? Is SAM essentially a cloud based hosted SCG?

2) If a client purchases a SAM license, will he be also required to purchase anything else? (aside purchasing extra licenses for additional AP support)

3) Does SAM/SCG/vSCG have ALL the features of a standard ZoneDirector appliance? (for example, Channelfly, background scanning, WIPS etc)

4) Are all current Rukus APs compatible with SAM/SCG/vSCG????

Thank you for your time and help...!!!!
2 REPLIES 2

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

1) If a client doesn't want to buy any hardware appliances (eg SCG) is it possible to buy a cloud based hosted SCG? Is SAM essentially a cloud based hosted SCG? 

SAM is not an hosted SCG. It is basically cloud-based WISPR solution, which can be used with hosted SCG or local ZD (actually if you order license to be used without local ZD, license includes license for  hosted SCG use).

2) If a client purchases a SAM license, will he be also required to purchase anything else? (aside purchasing extra licenses for additional AP support).

No, you don't need anything else. This is the point, all you need in one package -- it is User authentication solution, wlan and AP management and support in one package. Only if you want something additional, you need to buy additional services, such as Location services or SCI analytics.

If ordering, be sure to order proper license - including hosted SCG services or to be used with local ZD, they have different part numbers and price, but names are very similar.

3) Does SAM/SCG/vSCG have ALL the features of a standard ZoneDirector appliance? (for example, Channelfly, background scanning, WIPS etc).

No, SCG has not all features of ZD, but the most essential are there. You get much more scalability in SCG, but it doesn't support all features ZD has. 

Hope it heps...

andreas_georgio
New Contributor III
Hello and thank you for the reply... one more question if possible... I have read through the RuckOS 3.0.3 user guide and one feature that was not mentioned was DPSK. I presume that it is one of the ZD features not supported in SCG. Are there any other features that the SCG does not support..???

Thank you in advance for your time and help...