cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create guest passwords via CLI for SmartZone

nickzourdos
Contributor
Is it possible to generate a guest password using the CLI? I haven't been able to find anything in the CLI reference guide for vSZ v5.1 or by poking around the CLI for an hour or so. I need to generate a guest password for 90 different WLANs quickly. If not through the CLI, is there a fast way to accomplish this?
4 REPLIES 4

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
The command reference guide shows how to configure the Guest Access WLAN, but not create a user guest pass...

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/2801-smartzone-5-1-1-mr1-administrator-guide-sz300-vsz-...

I've come to the same conclusion. I don't see anything in the API that would be useful either. Looks like I have a long road ahead of me anytime I need to change the guest wireless passwords at our sites. 

Engineering always wanted customers to use the WebUI over CLI.

But you can create a Guest Pass Admin (user role) at your remote sites to provide your guest/contractors with access if its too much to do yourself, I think, is how it was envisioned.

The GUI has been fine for a majority of this deployment, but in a distributed environment like this one (90 sites) where each site is configured as a Zone, the CLI is a much more efficient way to generate AP registration rules, apply templates, and then tune those templates to reflect site-specific configurations such as local AAA servers, GPS/location config, timezones, etc. Since each site is a Zone, that means we have 90 copies of each WLAN... which means 90 copies of the Guest Portal and Guest Passes. 

I know this might seem like griping, but it's still better than running 7 ZoneDirectors like we are now. The flexibility of the SmartZone interface makes a lot of this stuff easier, but there is always room for improvement 🙂