cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus r510 range improvement for dummies?

eric_hutchens
New Contributor III
We recently purchased a smart home that has a Ruckus r510 AP installed in the ceiling of the front entryway, which is connected to a Ruckus ICX-7150 switch in a media cabinet in the laundry room.  All the smart home features seem to be working pretty well --- the only complaint I have is that there are a few "dead spots", locations in the house  where it seems to take forever to get my smartphone to communicate to the smart home devices through the supporting apps.  I was wondering what options I might have to improve reception/range to try to eliminate these dead spots. I would not consider myself an expert on home Wi-Fi & networking, but I'm a quick study --- I'm hoping for a fairly economical solution that would also minimizes the chances of me unintentionally crashing my smart home to a point where I can't recover with my limited knowledge!
62 REPLIES 62

Yes, my R510 AP is still on the 200.7.10.2.339 firmware version. I can try opening a ticket on the myLennar website, and see what type of response I get from them. In the ticket wording, should I be pushing them to contact Ruckus about resolving this firmware-related speed/connection issue? I assume Ruckus would consider Lennar as a large, important customer, and wouldn't want Lennar to turn to one of their competitors for their smart home APs if Ruckus appears to be unable/unwilling to solve a self-inflicted firmware issue with the APs they have been selling to Lennar. While Lennar has been fairly responsive to customer feedback/complaints, I'm sure they'd rather not have ANY complaints --- and would likely have limited patience on a resolution. 

One other question -- I noticed the recent release of 200.7.10.202.92 firmware for the R510 AP --- does this newer firmware release still have the same speed/connectivity issue as the earlier 200.7.10.2.339 firmware release that my AP is using?  In other words --- do I gain anything by upgrading now, or should I just wait indefinitely for a some future 200.8.x firmware release before I upgrade?

At this point I would just keep it as is... but open a ticket through Lennar with Ruckus so at least let them know you do have a speed issue with your iOS devices.   Also let them know it's the same issue as ticket #00993855. At least this way, let Ruckus know there are more people with this issue.  I don't think Ruckus is unwilling to fix it. It's more like Ruckus wasn't really aware of the issue since most of their clients are large deployment where the individual device bandwidth for high speed wasn't as important when say over 100+ devices are in use.  Trying to Figure out a way to explain this. Anyway it's easier for you to open a ticket since you are a Lennar Smart Home owner  which I'm sure Ruckus has a responsibility since they are a partner. For us end users that did not get a ruckus through Lennar. We would have to buy a support contract in order to report a bug.  However, since you a Lennar Smart home buyer at least you have some say and be able to report this bug. 

Anyway, if you want to follow this discussion.. please check out,

https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruckuswireless/topics/slow-download-speeds-r710-unleashed