cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Failure Causes Switch to reboot into Router Mode

brock_witcher
New Contributor II

I have a ICX 7150 C12 Ruckus Switch provided to me by my home builder Lennar with two R510 APs. We had a power outage in my area and it caused the switch to boot into router mode when it should be in switch mode. This is causing my system to do some weird things and we didn't have this problem before the outage.

How do I go about fixing this? The home builder Lennar initially set everything up for us so I am unfamiliar with the majority of the setup process. I will need a step by step instruction as I understand the basics but I am also very new to this. It was asking me for a password in the Unleashed app but I don't have one for the switch only the router, will I need to factory reset the system? If so how will I go about factory reseting?

I will then need help figuring out how to connect to the switch so I can make the changes needed. Is it as simple as typing in the address on the switch into the browser URL like I would a router? Or do I need to manually plug into the switch via ethernet or some other way? After I figure that out I will need to know how I go about changing it. Is there a command prompt and if so what commands do I type to get it to boot into the proper mode? Also, is there a way to keep it from booting to router mode every time there is a power outage?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dylan_chun_wong
New Contributor II

Hey Brock, I encounter this issue quite often. I did a write up 4 months ago that may help if you are comfortable with CLI: https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/conversations/ruckus-at-home/ruckus-icx7150c12-switch-is-frequentl...

My problem is I've seen some other posts mention they can flash the switch image to both partitions, but I haven't succesfully done this yet. This causes a mountain of headaches whenever something networking pops up I have to check if the switch rebooted.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

dylan_chun_wong
New Contributor II

Hey Brock, I encounter this issue quite often. I did a write up 4 months ago that may help if you are comfortable with CLI: https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/conversations/ruckus-at-home/ruckus-icx7150c12-switch-is-frequentl...

My problem is I've seen some other posts mention they can flash the switch image to both partitions, but I haven't succesfully done this yet. This causes a mountain of headaches whenever something networking pops up I have to check if the switch rebooted.

Hi Dylan, I have my global config set to boot from the switch profile on my primary flash, however, whenever I reboot (boot sys fl pri) it still boots to my secondary flash router profile. How do I tell if my primary flash flash is faulty or corrupted and thus flash needs to be wiped/reloaded or unit needs to be replaced?

brock_witcher
New Contributor II

Just wanted to fill everyone in on what happened. I created a support ticket and Ruckus support walked me through using PuTTy to connect to the switch properly using the com port, and they showed me how to use the CLI login succesfully to the switch and then to change the boot settings so that the switch boots out of router mode and into switch mode. Every now and then we have another power outage and I have to go back and redo the change from router to switch. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make it stay in switch mode permanently or is it just something I have to live with?

Thanks!

Hi Brock,

Pls share the 'show flash' output.

Hi @brock_witcher ,

You can specify the boot image preference.

If you run the below command from privilege mode:

device# boot system flash primary/secondary

The switch will boot up using the primary or secondary partition Just ONCE

If you run it from global config:

device(config)# boot system flash primary/secondary

This will modify the boot, and always will boot up with the partition that is indicated on the command.

To double check, run "show boot-preference" command what is currently setup. If it shows "default" it means it's booting up from primary

Please refer the below documents for the more info.

http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/fastiron/08.0.50/fastiron-08050-commandref/GUID-9B008914-403A-4FE1-84...

http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/fastiron/08.0.60/fastiron-08060-monitoringguide/GUID-9FDD802A-81DF-41...

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn