cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Failure Causes Switch to reboot into Router Mode

brock_witcher
New Contributor II

I have a ICX 7150 C12 Ruckus Switch provided to me by my home builder Lennar with two R510 APs. We had a power outage in my area and it caused the switch to boot into router mode when it should be in switch mode. This is causing my system to do some weird things and we didn't have this problem before the outage.

How do I go about fixing this? The home builder Lennar initially set everything up for us so I am unfamiliar with the majority of the setup process. I will need a step by step instruction as I understand the basics but I am also very new to this. It was asking me for a password in the Unleashed app but I don't have one for the switch only the router, will I need to factory reset the system? If so how will I go about factory reseting?

I will then need help figuring out how to connect to the switch so I can make the changes needed. Is it as simple as typing in the address on the switch into the browser URL like I would a router? Or do I need to manually plug into the switch via ethernet or some other way? After I figure that out I will need to know how I go about changing it. Is there a command prompt and if so what commands do I type to get it to boot into the proper mode? Also, is there a way to keep it from booting to router mode every time there is a power outage?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dylan_chun_wong
New Contributor II

Hey Brock, I encounter this issue quite often. I did a write up 4 months ago that may help if you are comfortable with CLI: https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/conversations/ruckus-at-home/ruckus-icx7150c12-switch-is-frequentl...

My problem is I've seen some other posts mention they can flash the switch image to both partitions, but I haven't succesfully done this yet. This causes a mountain of headaches whenever something networking pops up I have to check if the switch rebooted.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

This process doesn't work for me. I have done all the steps and confirmed the boot preference is set to switch and it still reboots in router mode.

Hi Rick,

Please reach out to Lennar support for further assistance.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

salvador_anguia
New Contributor

So this particular issue happened to me after a power outage.... after heavy research and troubleshooting I was able to get the "router mode" switched over the "switch." 

There was another outage and same issue happened. This time it took me over 6 hours to fix... I work from home so I had to work through the night to get the issue resolved and I was finally able to. 

There has been a 3rd outage and the issue occurred and now the commands will not fix the issue.  So I contacted Lennar support, they referred me back to Ruckus for a whole unite replacement! How crazy is that? Something that is simply be fixed needs to be swapped out. 

I live in a new community and all of the houses have the same issue. Ruckus' support was just a 'chat bot' with automated responses. This has been a poor experience as a homeowner for the type of product installed in these houses. All of the newer houses of 'Lennar' are using Eero Mesh and unfortunately stuck with this Ruckus' system (which is crap). 

I've already placed an order for a Ubiquiti Wifi 6 system.

Thanks a lot Ruckus!

rob_raper
New Contributor II

Yeah, I'd be interested to know what the root cause is here.   On mine the primary image stopped being able to boot, so it always failed over to secondary which had the "router" firmware even if you ran the commands to boot primary.      Someone else had this issue and found that updating to a newer version worked, and that was also the case on mine.   Now that I had a working "switch" firmware again, I copied switch to secondary, so even if primary gets messed up I will at least remain in switch mode.

BTW, the Eero setup Lennar now includes is FAR inferior.    Just an el cheapo mesh system.   You get an empty media panel.   They removed all CAT6A wiring.    Still no CAT5e to the rooms.  They expect you to use wireless backhaul.    Yuck.   Probably more appropriate for non-techie customers, but what a massive downgrade.  

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Fix is simple on these type of issues.

Access your ICX box and upgrade the both flash with recommended SW code and then you should not face this issue upon next power cycle or power failure.

If you do not want to upgrade the system, please set the boot preference.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn