cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICX-7150-C12P not pulling IP address, can't access console

ksteph3
New Contributor

I'm attempting to help a neighbor who as an ICX-7150-C12P that was installed in a Lennar home.  On the Quantum router the ICX was showing as having and IP address, but I was unable to ping or telnet to that IP after connecting to the console port via RJ45. 

I decided to remove the reservation from the Quantum router and reboot the switch.  After the reboot, the switch is no longer showing an active IP address.  The Quantum router is setup as the DHCP server, and the Ruckus has been set with a manual IP and DHCP turned off.  The manual IP on the Ruckus seems to take me to the management console but points to an AP when I attempt to telnet into it.  It seems like the console port should be accessed via the switch IP, but the switch is no longer pulling an IP.  Do you have any suggestions? 

I thought about factory resetting, but I didn't know if there was any configuration that would need to be done if I did a factor reset other than setting the IP again.  Would the admin password for Ruckus also be reset if I did a factor reset?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ksteph3 

Thank you for the response and the update.

Please unplug the ethernet cable coming from the ISP (Internet Service Provider’s) Router and plug back to any other available 1 in-12 ports as highlighted in the below screenshot.

Once plugged, you may try to hard factory reset the RUCKUS ICX-7150-C12P Switch following the guidelines outlined in the below RUCKUS Lennar Knowledge Base self-help article.

https://community.ruckuswireless.com/t5/RUCKUS-Lennar-Support-Knowledge/Process-for-performing-a-phy...

After hard reset try to IP scan and check if you see any IP address gets assigned to the Switch.

If that doesn’t work and there is no IP address of the Switch, the only way to get the CLI access is via console cable. Please refer to the console article shared in my previous post and reset the username/password.

Please note, to gain CLI access via console cable doesn’t require an IP address of the Switch.

As you don't have Type-C cable, you can check using an ethernet cable connecting to the alternate console port on the Switch (Port no. 15 in the below screenshot) that does the same function as the USB type-c port on the Switch. 

Once again, please make sure to download the zip drive for the file below & "extract all". Once it's extracted, run the file, the driver should be installed using the 2 links below.

Link 1: https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software/1414-brocade-ruckus-7150-usb-serial-driver-windows

Link 2: silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers?tab=downloads

Please check and let me know if that works.

Thank you again. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Imran_ruckus

Hi @ksteph3 

Greetings!!!

Thank you for reaching out to the RUCKUS Lennar Home Community. 

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to resolve the issues you are experiencing with your RUCKUS setup.

Based on the information provided, it appears that you are encountering issues with getting console access.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and are committed to assisting you promptly.

Please note that no configuration backup is required for the process outlined below.

To regain console access, please follow the instructions provided in the article linked below: How to Console into the ICX-7150-C12P

Additionally, you may find it helpful to watch this YouTube video on recovering the switch password: Recovering Switch Password

Once you have successfully recovered the switch password, use the following commands to either modify the existing password or create a new username and password:

enable

configure terminal

device(config)# username super password pass

In this example, the username is ‘super’ and the password is ‘pass’.

To ensure proper authentication, execute the following commands:

device(config)# crypto key generate rsa

device(config)# aaa authentication login default local

device(config)# aaa authentication web-server default local

You should then be able to log in using the new credentials following an IP scan. If the new credentials do not work immediately, please wait for a short period and try again.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please let us know. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,
Imran Sanadi
RUCKUS Lennar Home Community

Thanks for the reply, Imran.  I do not have a console cable, so I have been attempting to connect to the console via the RJ45 port.  However, the switch isn't pulling an IP address for me to do that.  Would factory resetting allow the switch to pull an address again?  I have been able to telnet to the console this way on a different ICX router of the same model, but can't here due to the lack of an address.

Hi @ksteph3 

Thank you for the response and the update.

Please unplug the ethernet cable coming from the ISP (Internet Service Provider’s) Router and plug back to any other available 1 in-12 ports as highlighted in the below screenshot.

Once plugged, you may try to hard factory reset the RUCKUS ICX-7150-C12P Switch following the guidelines outlined in the below RUCKUS Lennar Knowledge Base self-help article.

https://community.ruckuswireless.com/t5/RUCKUS-Lennar-Support-Knowledge/Process-for-performing-a-phy...

After hard reset try to IP scan and check if you see any IP address gets assigned to the Switch.

If that doesn’t work and there is no IP address of the Switch, the only way to get the CLI access is via console cable. Please refer to the console article shared in my previous post and reset the username/password.

Please note, to gain CLI access via console cable doesn’t require an IP address of the Switch.

As you don't have Type-C cable, you can check using an ethernet cable connecting to the alternate console port on the Switch (Port no. 15 in the below screenshot) that does the same function as the USB type-c port on the Switch. 

Once again, please make sure to download the zip drive for the file below & "extract all". Once it's extracted, run the file, the driver should be installed using the 2 links below.

Link 1: https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software/1414-brocade-ruckus-7150-usb-serial-driver-windows

Link 2: silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers?tab=downloads

Please check and let me know if that works.

Thank you again. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.

Hi @ksteph3 

Greetings!!!

I trust this message finds you well.

I kindly request an update on the status of the issue so that we may proceed further with resolving it.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Imran Sanadi
RUCKUS Lennar Home Community