cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Manage Ruckus Access Points on unmanaged switch

robert_notrica
New Contributor II

Issue: Due to constant ruckus switch outages, I would like to replace the switch with non-ruckus unmanaged POE switch (Steamemo 8 Port Gigabit PoE Switch Built-in Power,Unmanaged Metal Plug and Play).

Questions:

1. Once I plug the Ruckus APs into the new switch, is there any way to manage the APs or would I need to move them back to the Ruckus switch if I need to update or reconfigure the APs?

2. Is there a way to test if I'm connecting to an AP and not directly to the Fios Router?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

robert_notrica
New Contributor II

Found the answers:

1. You can still access the Ruckus management interface through the Ruckus APs even if the Ruckus switch is removed from the network. From the interface, you can manage the APs. To get to the interface, you need to browse to the IP address of any one of the connected Ruckus APs (the AP IP addresses can be found from your router management page or by typing arp -a in cmd line).

2. Yes, give the APs a different name (ssid) than your Router WiFi SSID. Then connect to the AP SSID. If you connect to that AP SSID, you're connected to the APs

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Jayavidhya

Hi @robert_notrica 

Greetings of the day,

We cannot replace the chassis until you confirm that the hardware is damaged.  So please let us know the LED status of the switch and the access points using the below guide.

R510 LED lights

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/unleashed-200.12-onlinehelp/page/GUID-19D4261B-D10B-4DE3-B63A-3498...

RUCKUS LED lights

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/icx7150-installguide/page/GUID-973C8AE8-837A-41C7-9811-BAEF6ADEF3D...

Please let us know if you have any queries in this regard.

Best regards,

Jayavidhya

Lennar Home Community

No idea what you're talking about. Nothing is damaged. Just tired of outages after every rain storm.

I am removing the ruckus switch from the network but keeping the Ruckus APs. I just need to know if there is a way to manage the Ruckus APs while using a 3rd party UNMANAGED switch.

Hi @robert_notrica 

We need to know the LED status of the switch and the access points to find out the root cause of the issue.

For further troubleshooting steps please let us know the LED status of the switch and the access points.

Also please share the image of the switch and the access points showing the LED status and the cable connections of the devices.

Here is where you can upload the image/photo :

you can also drag it to the chat

Best regards,

Jayavidhya

Lennar Home Community

Again, there is no issue to resolve. I am only asking 2 basic questions. Please read the original post. Thank you.