cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Manage Ruckus Access Points on unmanaged switch

robert_notrica
New Contributor II

Issue: Due to constant ruckus switch outages, I would like to replace the switch with non-ruckus unmanaged POE switch (Steamemo 8 Port Gigabit PoE Switch Built-in Power,Unmanaged Metal Plug and Play).

Questions:

1. Once I plug the Ruckus APs into the new switch, is there any way to manage the APs or would I need to move them back to the Ruckus switch if I need to update or reconfigure the APs?

2. Is there a way to test if I'm connecting to an AP and not directly to the Fios Router?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

robert_notrica
New Contributor II

Found the answers:

1. You can still access the Ruckus management interface through the Ruckus APs even if the Ruckus switch is removed from the network. From the interface, you can manage the APs. To get to the interface, you need to browse to the IP address of any one of the connected Ruckus APs (the AP IP addresses can be found from your router management page or by typing arp -a in cmd line).

2. Yes, give the APs a different name (ssid) than your Router WiFi SSID. Then connect to the AP SSID. If you connect to that AP SSID, you're connected to the APs

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi @robert_notrica 

Sorry for the inconvenience.

You can connect the non RUCKUS (unmanaged) switch to the empty port of the Access Points or to the switch. For your information, one of the ports in access points is used for PoE data and the other port (empty port) is used for the data transfer.

Also please follow the below steps on how to connect RUCKUS AP to other switch.

Most common Setups for Lennar homes users

https://community.ruckuswireless.com/t5/RUCKUS-Support-for-Lennar-Homes/Most-common-Setups-for-Lenna...

Please let us know if you have any queries in this regard.

Best regards,

Jayavidhya

Lennar Home Community

robert_notrica
New Contributor II

Found the answers:

1. You can still access the Ruckus management interface through the Ruckus APs even if the Ruckus switch is removed from the network. From the interface, you can manage the APs. To get to the interface, you need to browse to the IP address of any one of the connected Ruckus APs (the AP IP addresses can be found from your router management page or by typing arp -a in cmd line).

2. Yes, give the APs a different name (ssid) than your Router WiFi SSID. Then connect to the AP SSID. If you connect to that AP SSID, you're connected to the APs

Hi @robert_notrica 

Thanks for your update.

Please let us know if you have any queries in this regard.

Best regards,

Jayavidhya

Lennar Home Community