cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T Fiber and Ruckus - flaky internet

srinath_alapati
New Contributor II

All, I am hoping I can get some help/advice. Thanks for reading.

Here's my setup:

AT&T Fiber (BGW210-700) router --> Ruckus ICX-C12P --> 3 x r510 Access Points

Until yesterday everything worked great. We had a power outage yesterday and WiFi has been flaky since then. Goes up/down, speed tests error out or inconsistent.

I narrowed down the problem to the Ruckus portion of the networking. Because when I connect to the AT&T fiber modem's WiFi SSID, everything works great. Consistent WiFi and speed test results. BTW the WiFI SSID on the AT&T modem is different than the one setup on Ruckus.

So far, I have done the following:

1) Powered off and powered on the whole setup

2) Unplugged the RJ45 cables between the AT&T modem and the switch and also unplugged and plugged back in the cables on the Ruckus switch (to the access points).

3) Rebooted the Ruckus switch

4) Upgraded the firmware on the access points using the Unleashed app on my phone

5) Performed troubleshooting in the Unleashed app on my phone:

• Speed flex test from each AP to phone looks ok
  • Speed flex test from AP to AP test looks ok

What else can I do? Thank you!

PS: IP passthrough is set to Off on the AT&T modem. Not sure if this needs to be On and don't recall what it used to be.

14 REPLIES 14

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Srinath,

Could you confirm the symptoms in detail?

• Are you able to connect to Ruckus WiFi SSID without any issues?
  • Is the client(s) disconnecting very frequently? If yes, how frequent?
  • Is the issue seen when client devices are stationery or roaming?
  • All the clients impacted or specific clients?

Check and make sure all the APs are broadcasting SSIDs. Try to use any WiFi analyzer app and check if all APs are broadcasting the SSIDs.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Thank you so much for the quick response!

• Yes, I am able to connect to Ruckus WiFi SSID without issues
  • Yes, it's not so much disconnecting. But I would explain more like there's no internet connection. Very frequently. For example, when I do a speed test using a speed test app on the phone or computer, it either times out, finishes the download test but never starts the upload test (error out), or takes too long to load content
  • Issues seen when clients are stationary as well
  • All clients impacted

The Unleashed app shows all 3 APs online (1 as master) and 1 WLAN. 

Hi Srinath,

When device says no internet, does it shows a valid IP address? Could you also check the client status on Unleashed GUI when client in problematic state.

Where is the DHCP server? It it hosted from Unleashed or your gateway router? At the time of problem, try to run troubleshoot utility available in Unleashed and see at what point client is failing.

Try to create a new SSID and check if issue also seen on the new SSID.

If none of the above help fixing the problem, please open a support case for further troubleshooting.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/cases/new 

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

I created a new WLAN, connected my Macbook to that WiFi. Connectivity test passes. But internet connectivity from the MacBook doesn't work. For example, I couldn't even load speedtest.net website.