cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uplink goes down when AP plugged into switch

jason_hilt
New Contributor III

New to Ruckus switches.

Have an ICX 7650 with one uplink to an Extreme switch.  ICX is managed by a SZ100.  When I plug in a Ruckus R650 to a port on the ICX switch, 1 gig or 2.5 gig port, the uplink port goes down.  Show Interface says port 1/2/1 is blocking but gives no indication of why it changed to blocking.  Only way I can get the uplink port to enable is if I reboot the switch. 

If I plug in a laptop into a port on the ICX everything works correctly.  We have one default vlan and four tagged vlans on the switch ports and 5 tagged vlans on the uplink.

I have no idea why plugging in an AP takes the uplink port down.  This is happening on 2 different 7650 switches and am assuming it will happen to all of them.  

Any ideas on what configuration needs to be done so the uplink port won't go into blocking?

Here's part of the show int for 1/2/1 when it's being blocked.

Hardware is 10GigabitEthernet, address is c0c5.2073.3531 (bia c0c5.2073.3531)
  Configured speed 10Gbit, actual unknown, configured duplex fdx, actual unknown
  Configured mdi mode AUTO, actual unknown
  Tagged member of 5 L2 VLANs, port state is BLOCKING
  BPDU guard is Disabled, ROOT protect is Disabled, Designated protect is Disabl
  Link Error Dampening is Disabled
  STP configured to ON, priority is level0, mac-learning is enabled
  MACsec is Disabled
  Flow Control is config enabled, oper enabled, negotiation disabled
  Mirror disabled, Monitor disabled

19 REPLIES 19

Hello,

frustration isn't in place. You try to connect 2 different vendors swtcthes together but don't look on STP configuration. MLAG use doesn't mean some form of STP isn't enabled.

Most vendors use different defaults for STP, and such problems are not uncommon when BPDU are not properly understood. Actually, I have seen such problems mainly with Cisco and different brands (because of non-standard PVSTN default used by Cisco) and with Enterasys/Extreme for similar reason. To avoid this, when connecting 2 different brands of switches, you must set compatible STP (STP or MSTP) configuration on both switches, as all switches support standard protocols.

Most probably port is coming down, because some conflicting data are received.

I actually had similar situation when connecting Extreme switch in default config to ALE switch network  by just 1 port put all network down. It was big business center, and nobody new that one of tenants was connecting his switch to network port, just all building network went down at some moments. Admin couldn't understand what is the reason of problem at all, we had to  analyze logs in detail to find location of fault - use of incompatible STP protocols.

I still suspect that configuration of STP/RSTP/MSTP protocols  is a problem. Set debugging and look for log messages when port is disabled -- probably it will show exactly why uplink port is disabled.

I woild recommend to open support case with Ruckus - support will be able to analyze logs and recommend solution. I have very limited experience with Extreme switches (mainly replacing old wth different brands), but I remember that there is some specifics in STP configuration.

Disabling STP on Ruckus switch doesn't prevent transporting BPDUs from AP through switch to uplink port, so conflict still may happen. It would be interesting to try connect AP directly to uplink (through PoE injector) -- will it go down?

At least this is a logical step to troubleshoot.

Ruckus switches have specific features to be more compatible with Cisco, but it doesn't help with Extreme, as it has different specification.

jason_hilt
New Contributor III

So figured out the issue, somewhat.  It's a bug in the 95 and 92 versions of the OS software.  The Ruckus tech was totally miffed on what the issue was and had no other advice than to try a downgrade.  I downgraded to 90h and everything works great, with and without STP configured to defaults.  Can unplug/plugin uplinks and APs with no issues now.

Now to downgrade 36 switches that are already installed.

Hi Jason, 

Could you share me the case# or Jira ID about this issue, because I am struck with same issue I upgraded the switch to 90h build but still I have the issue. 

Thank you for the help in advance.

Regards,

Abilash PR

Try version TNS08095ca.  That's what I am using now after trying other versions.

There was no real solution as Ruckus Support had no idea what the exact issue was at the time.