cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uplink goes down when AP plugged into switch

jason_hilt
New Contributor III

New to Ruckus switches.

Have an ICX 7650 with one uplink to an Extreme switch.  ICX is managed by a SZ100.  When I plug in a Ruckus R650 to a port on the ICX switch, 1 gig or 2.5 gig port, the uplink port goes down.  Show Interface says port 1/2/1 is blocking but gives no indication of why it changed to blocking.  Only way I can get the uplink port to enable is if I reboot the switch. 

If I plug in a laptop into a port on the ICX everything works correctly.  We have one default vlan and four tagged vlans on the switch ports and 5 tagged vlans on the uplink.

I have no idea why plugging in an AP takes the uplink port down.  This is happening on 2 different 7650 switches and am assuming it will happen to all of them.  

Any ideas on what configuration needs to be done so the uplink port won't go into blocking?

Here's part of the show int for 1/2/1 when it's being blocked.

Hardware is 10GigabitEthernet, address is c0c5.2073.3531 (bia c0c5.2073.3531)
  Configured speed 10Gbit, actual unknown, configured duplex fdx, actual unknown
  Configured mdi mode AUTO, actual unknown
  Tagged member of 5 L2 VLANs, port state is BLOCKING
  BPDU guard is Disabled, ROOT protect is Disabled, Designated protect is Disabl
  Link Error Dampening is Disabled
  STP configured to ON, priority is level0, mac-learning is enabled
  MACsec is Disabled
  Flow Control is config enabled, oper enabled, negotiation disabled
  Mirror disabled, Monitor disabled

19 REPLIES 19

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

Also, I have seen incompatibility in STP between different vendors and Enterasys (now owned by Extreme) -- connecting with Alcatel and Cisco in some configurations resulted in blocked ports.

You have to check what exact configuration of STP is on both switches -- is it STP, RSTP, plain or per VLAN, MSTP, etc, and what are exact settings for each protocol for each VLAN on uplink interface on both sides.

But as problem happens  when connecting AP, I would anyway start from disabling mesh, if it is enabled.

Mesh is disabled on all APs

Just checked and we are not running STP on the Extreme switches, guess it's disabled by default.  We don't use any redundant links, just LAGs.  Extreme uses MLAG.

Should I just disable STP on the Ruckus switches?  They will only be connected to APs.
I am still at a loss why the uplink port is getting shutdown when an AP is plugged in when there is no loop and the only other port being used is the Management port on it's own vlan.  So it's only the AP port and the uplink ports being used.

So I disabled STP on all the vlans on the SZ controller at the group level and switch level.  Couldn't disable it on Vlan 1 as it's the default vlan that we don't use.

On the switch through the CLI, disabled STP globally as it still showed ON in the interface.  Disabled STP directly on the uplink interface 1/2/1.  It now shows off.  Enabled PoE on port 1/1/26 for the AP.......and the uplink port 1/2/1 goes down immediately.  From the log:
Feb 10 11:12:03:I:System: Interface ethernet 1/1/26, state up
Feb 10 11:11:58:I:System: Interface ethernet 1/1/26, state down
Feb 10 11:11:39:I:System: Interface ethernet 1/1/26, state up
Feb 10 11:11:34:I:System: Interface ethernet 1/1/26, state down
Feb 10 11:11:32:I:System: Interface ethernet 1/1/26, state up
Feb 10 11:11:26:I:System: Interface ethernet 1/2/1, state down
Feb 10 11:11:25:I:System: PoE: Power enabled on port 1/1/26.

I am at a total loss of WHY 1/2/1 goes down immediately and WHY I can not get port 1/2/1 to even come back up without having to reboot the whole switch.

Really frustrated with these Ruckus switches at this point.  Never had issues like this with Cisco or Extreme.

If you put the AP on standalone software, for example 114.0.0.0.6565, do you still have the same behaviour ?

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software/2767-ruckus-solo-access-point-114-0-0-0-6565-ga-software...

Are you sure you don't have loops in the network ? Did you enable loop-detection maybe ?

No loops.  Switch is a new install that I did.  One uplink to the ruckus.  One link on the management port and the AP is all that's connected to the Ruckus switch.

Plugging in a laptop works just fine.  Uplink stays up, get an IP and can surf the internet.

What would putting the AP in standalone mode do?  AP doesn't even have time to talk to the controller before the uplink goes down.